Weeknight

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Wife pulled a couple bags of bluegill and crappie from the freezer yesterday and we ate it for supper. After we finished and cleaned up..... i announced that i was heading out to fill the void we just put in the freezer. Usually that never works, but the moon and stars must have aligned last night. :D

Drove up the the big fish bowl about 15 minutes away and was able to fish from 8:00 to 9:30 or so. Tried crawlers and waxworms deep (5'-6') below a float on one rod and casted with another. Could only get cats down deep.... but noticed my float getting bumped pretty frequently. Ended up tying on a brown/orange kip jig and pegged it only about 10" under my float. Casted out and 'chugged' the bobber a few time to get some attention. I was skeptical on my first cast, but it worked! Did not even need to tip with bait. They would come in to investigate the bobber and nail the jig. Ended with 11 fish. There were a couple that were on the small size but most were in the 7.5" - 8.5" range. Always love quick trips like this.

Attachments

• 100_0221_e.jpg
    100_0221_e.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 76

Jig Man

And filled the empty spot in the freezer. Sounds like the perfect time to announce a fishing trip..

JUNGLEJIM1

Some nice chunky gills. Cooked up some crappie fillets a couple days ago and ate every fillet myself. I want to do some river fishing if the rains stop and it gets to fishable levels. Little jigs are working at the small lakes around here too.

Kdog

Nice pile of gills. You got a well trained hound there, if my lab gets her tongue on a fish, you better be quick or goodbye fish. Once, I had to run her down over a 5# Walleye. Now, she does a sit-stay and drools while I'm cleaning fish

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks all. My animals do love it when i bring home fish. The dog is pretty timid and doesn't try to force her self with anything if she has been told a time or two. She is very smart and listens well. Most of the time she sits patiently and watches to get half of the bone trimmings.... the black cat gets the other half and any eggs. The dog does not like it when the cats try to get in the bucket to get out a whole fish carcass though.... she defends the bucket quite fiercely. There is another cat that is not in the picture because it will get the boot (and hard) if it even comes close to me. It has sunk its claws deep into me twice trying to get fish from the cleaning table and actually stole a whole crappie right off the table once. I did chase it down to no avail. The black cat under the table on the other hand just purrs between my feet waiting for his share to hit the ground.

fishmilwaukee

My dog must be spoiled. She waits until the fillets are out of the skillet before going after them. Though I've never tried with the bone trimmings and such. She might like it. She usually seems pretty uninterested in whole fish. Kinda gives us a look like "this one it's still flopping. When ya gonna fry it?"

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
fishmilwaukee - My dog might be more spoiled.... she gets both the raw trimmings AND a little nibble here and there from the cooked. haha

Jig Man - There is and old boy up here that i chat with on another local Ohio site that has sworn up and down about how good deep fried bluegill and crappie eggs are. I've not tried it...... all my fish eggs go to the cat cause the dog won't even eat those.

Back