Weed Guards

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I have a bunch of blank jigs (larger bass sized) that i have to put the fiber weed guards in myself which is new to me. Usually i get the pre-fab kind and have to work around the guard when i am tying and painting them.

As of now, i have done a bunch using epoxy and coating the entire head as i go.... but it is a major pain in the a$$ working with that stuf. It either doesn't set fast enough and the guard slips some (yes, even with the 5 minute stuff if i am not watching it closely) or i end up getting the epoxy on the fur/feather/chenille :dodgy: I have botched a few 'almost' finished jigs beyond salvage - getting frustrated!!!!!!

Just wondering what type adhesive anyone uses to keep them in? Do you use some type of a clamp to keep the guard exactly where you want it? If it is a tied jig... do you place the guard before or after the jig is tied?

jjsjigs

Banned
Just use mono... LOL. I ran into the exact same problem your having. I ended up playing around with zap-a-gap, I even put a small section of pencil eraser in the hole hoping the stiff weedguard bristles would stick into the eraser... Alas, none of my idea really worked well. I just started going back to weaving mono from the hook bend to the eye aka flyfishing style of weed guard.

Pup

AF,

I'd be willing to bet that most who make jig heads with weed guards do not intend for skirts, bodies, and tails to be tied onto their jigs. Rather, skirts and soft plastics will be pushed or slipped onto the collars. Weed guards do not interfere with that.

I've used many different epoxies as clear coats. But, never used one to glue in fish guards... I mean... weed guards. ;)

Have you considered trying a 1-minute epoxy? I believe that you can find them in light amber and, possibly, clear formulations. I know that Loctite makes one. If you have a local Ace Hardware store nearby, check them out. They carry a very wide selection of epoxies that includes their own brand. I buy my Devcon 2T epoxy from them.

Also, consider trying a gel formulation which shouldn't run much if at all. There are 1-minute and 5-minute varieties of this.

If the guard seems too top-heavy to you, then you might try securing two stout, yet flexible, toothpicks onto the hook, just behind the barb, with a rubber band, craft wire, or twist tie(s). Spread the toothpicks to place the bristles between them. That should hold them in place until the epoxy dries.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the suggestions.

JJsJigs - Not sure the mono would be stiff enough with the extra 1/8 oz. of weight... at least any that i have. May have to see if i can find some heavier line to mess with. I do use mono (think it is 20lb maybe) for guards on some flies.

Pup - I like the twist tie idea - might be simple to have a few ready to go with a twist tie in place on the hook with a 'V' shape to rest the guard on. Some of the problem was trying to hold them till they set enough to hold... by then the extra epoxy for the next jig was setting up as well.

Fish guards ehhhh?? hmmm... Wonder if testing has ever been done to see if they prevent hook-ups..... it does make sense and you have me wondering now. I actually don't use the guards often, but when i do i always trim them way down compared to how long they are originaly... unless i am giving them away. I have a few small lakes nearby with some kind of nasty weeds that DO NOT come off the hook by ripping the jig hard. The guards help some in these lakes with jig n' pig type lures if you wiggle the jig through when you feel resistance. I believe this draws some strikes also. ;) If you rip it - you will have 3 pounds of weeds to reel in! :mad:

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I havent done a whole lot of these, but I used some gel superglue. The thicker was better about not soaking up the fibers and making the guard too stiff.

toadfrog

I have used radiator repair epoxy . heated the jig and powder coated it . the epoxy will stand the heat if you are careful of the weed gaurd . but backing them out with the gaurd in won't work well.

bassman356

I use Loctite Super Glue Gel after the jig is tied. Drys in seconds. A little time consuming, but not as bad as trying to tie a jig around a weedguard!!

Nightprowler

I just recently was working with this exact problem. What I found to work was the gel super glue from the dollar store. I was able to glue them and using hemo's to balance the weedgaurd enough for it to dry overnight. The next day it was very secure. I am giving some sample to the guy to try them before I would make some for sale.
Hope this helps.
NightProwler

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks - I will have to give the gel super glue a try, sounds like the way to go.

Bassman - I have tied around a few weed guards, it can be done but is a pain for sure... would rather spend the extra time to glue them after.

softworm

+1 on the loctite gel. I've been using it for years. Its almost impossiable to tie a jig with the weedguard molded in. Now if you're using silicone skirts with a band on them (which I hate by the way) you can do them with the guard molded in.

Back