Water Chickens

crappiecripplerjigs

Since Roadrunner is a bad word I've been spending some time tying water chickens. It's been so cold here I already have spring fever. Can't wait to get these in the water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 142

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Awesome whatyamacallits! Love the paint job.
When I saw water chicken I thought back to one of my first duck hunts... I was 7 or 8 and went to pick up a duck I shot. When I got over to it, it was upside down with it's feet sticking straight out of the water. Well They weren't webbed duck feet. My first thought was OMG I killed somebodies chicken... Dads gonna kill me! Lol. Ever since we've called them water chickens. I think you duck hunters know what I shot.

crappiecripplerjigs

RD that's awesome! Reminds me of song. Like to hear it, here it goes. Mama killed a chicken, thought it was a duck. She put him on the table with his legs sticking up. You got to bottle up and go. John Lee Hooker has the best version. LOL

Bucho

Love the paint, especially the right one. Never got a good olive/yellow combination myself. I´ve noticed you didn´t cover the swivels, how do they take it? When double-dipping in white and red, I break off one out of ten when I try to free them, even with the swivels covered with shrink tube.

crappiecripplerjigs

Thanks Bucho. After much trial and error, covering, dipping in cold water, etc... the best way I have found to powder paint these heads is leaving the swivel uncovered. I use a heat gun for the source. As soon as final paint is applied I count to 5 and start turning the swivel by hand for at least 20 seconds. They free up rather easily with constant turning. Only problem is going through the same process once they are oven cured. It's time consuming but if making them for myself I don't waste time with curing.

PanfishHunter

Ron Don, im not a duck hunter, but here we fish under "Water Turkey" roosts in the winter for Catfish. what we call water turkeys are actually cormorants. That is my first thought on what you shot.

Those look really good!

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
No no it wasn't a water turkey! Big no no to shoot of them. They are protected although I feel they shouldn't be as they seem to be taking over!

It was a Coot. Not sure what their proper name is.

plateboater

Good looking jigs....and I have taken a few water chickens out myself in Illinois! The raft up so big.....why not!

Back