Watch out perch!

davidriley

View attachment 4I recently bought some Turrall UV Straggle Fritz in black and olive to try out. I immediately thought - perch, so came up with these 'Straggle bugs'. Not very imaginative but I reckon they may catch the odd perch or two. The tails are made from the silicone skirts used in spinnerbaits. Not sure if a marabou tail incorporating a bit of Krystal flash may be better though.

David

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 175

Kdog

davidriley said:
I recently bought some Turrall UV Straggle Fritz in black and olive to try out. I immediately thought - perch, so came up with these 'Straggle bugs'. Not very imaginative but I reckon they may catch the odd perch or two. The tails are made from the silicone skirts used in spinnerbaits. Not sure if a marabou tail incorporating a bit of Krystal flash may be better though.

David

Nice job, sounds like you already have your next tying session planned.

GrampsJigs

Those look "extra buggy" and often times fish like lots of movement in the jig pattern. I like them!

Let us know if you tie some up with Marabou and fish them if you notice any difference in the fish responses.

Bucho

nice ties and interesting material! What size are they? My experience with hairjigs and perch is that size matterns. Less than finger-long jigs have yet failed to produce a reasonably sized fish at all. You may encounter roach, ide and white bream surprizes though!

AllenOK

David, those jigs look downright buggy! I don't know what all species of fish you have over there, but over here, those jigs, worked in the weeds, would result in large catches of various sunfish species, and who knows what else!

davidriley

Bucho said:
nice ties and interesting material! What size are they? My experience with hairjigs and perch is that size matterns. Less than finger-long jigs have yet failed to produce a reasonably sized fish at all. You may encounter roach, ide and white bream surprizes though!

Frank
They are tied on a 1g (1/32oz) size 8 Finesse sickle jig head ( probably Matzuo, but the seller buys in bulk and puts his own label on them).

I hear what you are saying about size but I have always tended to fish with smaller sizes than many. However over the years have had some respectable perch up to 4lb on small hooks/lures, even the occasional pike up to 16lb, caught on Mepps Aglia copper spinners size 2.

These days though I tend to only use jigs, which must always be tied by me and rarely use any hook size greater than a 6 or 4. Recently I have been experimenting with smaller hooks. The other week I tied up a gold bead Pheasant tail nymph on a jig hook (weight 0.4g about 1/75ozs) size 10 and over a 3 hour session had over 40+ perch. Admittedly many were very small, although the best went to 1lb 8ozs. I fish very light, using a Savage Gear LRF 6'6" 198cm (6'6") rated to cast 0-5gms (less than1/4oz) so every fish I catch, regardless of size, gives sport. I have to confess though that one of the reasons for using smaller hooks was to try and catch a roach or bream which also frequent the same part of the canal. Alas no roach or bream - yet. I may have to go smaller!!
-------------

Thanks to everybody for your kind comments.

David

PS. I have just ordered some more UV Straggle Fritz in other colours!

Bucho

Ok, now, I´m imperessed! Would not have thought so, most 40+ perch I hear of are caught as pike-bycatch. If you´re after roach however you may find this thread interesting:
http://www.jigcraft.com/jigcraft/showthread.php?tid=7836&highlight=roach+boolie

I found pan-fish sized boolies very effective on roach. I remember heaving read of a guy who used to win spin-fishing tournaments in the former GDR (east Germany) targeting roach and white bream - the most abundend species- with ul gear and very small homemade inline spinners in the 1gr range.

davidriley

Bucho said:
Ok, now, I´m imperessed! Would not have thought so, most 40+ perch I hear of are caught as pike-bycatch. If you´re after roach however you may find this thread interesting:
http://www.jigcraft.com/jigcraft/showthread.php?tid=7836&highlight=roach+boolie

I found pan-fish sized boolies very effective on roach. I remember heaving read of a guy who used to win spin-fishing tournaments in the former GDR (east Germany) targeting roach and white bream - the most abundend species- with ul gear and very small homemade inline spinners in the 1gr range.

Interesting. Thanks for the link too.That has given me a few ideas.

David

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Great leggy little bugs. The orange/green/gold combo looks really good together. They will catch you some fish no doubt. Don't think i have ever seen that material either..... good looking stuff.

Pup

Great-looking ties. The material reminds me of eyelash yarn sold at many a fabric store.

Well done. :cool:

davidriley

Thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated.

For your info, i bought online some more colours of the Turrall's UV Straggle Fritz yesterday, which arrived today. The company is called 'Troutcatcher's' - http://www.troutcatchers.co.uk/acatalog/Turrall-UV-Straggle-Fritz-4497.html

I know they ship to the USA, although I don't know how expensive it is.i am sure they will tell you their postage charges if you contact them. I think Fatman bought some stuff from them a while ago so he may be able to rate their service and prices. I used them yesterday for the first time and will certainly use them again.

David

Back