Wanting to start pouring so I can get into swivel jigs and ultra minnow heads.

Fireshadow

Wanting to start working on some ultra minnow heads, pony heads, and chubs w/ spinners. I figure the easiest way to get these is to start pouring my own. I was wondering if you guys could help me know the best way to get started. I am starting from scratch so any advice will be greatly appershated. Thans for all the insperation you guys have given me to help feed my I insane adiction to the pursuit of moe tackle.

Fatman

Oh man I hope you're not married!!!!!!!LOL The cheapest place on Do-It molds that I've seen lately is Zeiners Bass Shop http://www.zeiners.com/doit/

Jig Hooks if you're looking for 1000's Capt Hooks http://www.captainhookswarehouse.com/index.cfm?page=home

On Pony's your going to need not only the hooks but crane swivels - on the Pony's are you talking with or without collar?? if without it's a horsehead. In the assorted size molds from 1/4 oz up you'll need size 10, the smaller ones size 12. You'll need either cheaper split rings or butt rings for attaching your blades and the blades themselves.
I buy alot from Hagens, but look around for prices!!! Lureparts online, Janns, Barlows...

Melting pot - My own personal choice is a Lee Production Pot IV (10lb.) but they do make a bigger one.

The chubs with spinner - You'd have to mod a mold if you want the blade built in like a pony. Ron at LA Baits sells them http://www.labaits.com/Chub-Spin_p_26.html

And the fun part finding lead!!!!!! Be careful on ebay their are alot of ads for pure lead and it turns out to be junk!!!!!!! Tire weight lead the old ones if you can find them - I've never bought lead yet, but I've been looking at Roto Metalshttp://www.rotometals.com/default.asp

That should start you down the road of corruption!!!!!!!!!!LOL If you need more help let us know!!!

Fireshadow

Thanks. I ment the horse heads. I've been reading a lot about the process of refining lead in a smelting pot with flux or paraffin out side to get the slag out first. Man those stories of the lead explosions in the melting pots are scrary. Trying to figure out what should I get first, a smelting pot and ingut mold to start refining some lead before getting a pouring pot and molds. Get the 10 lb lee pot and a couple of molds and buy some pure lead to just dive in to it. I live close to barlows so I have way to easy acess to ther stuff.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Fatman covered most of the pouring part, then again there's the painting... Barlows is possibly the best one stop for everything you need, and I'm sure there are scrap sources of inexpensive lead in your area. I need to pay $1 a lb. out here in the middle of the ocean, you might find some for a lot less.

Can never be too careful with melting lead - I was processing rolled up telephone cable sheathing into ingots a few days ago being careful to slowly ease the rolls into the melt cut ends up & down to allow moisture to bubble out. Did one piece a bit too quickly and it splatter popped - luckily my gloves prevented injury.

If you're just pouring for yourself & buddies, no need to deal with scrap just yet. Just get some clean lead and a pot for now, and see if you like pouring enuf to up production later.

Fatman

I'll tell you right up front if you're going to be doing just the 1/32nd and 1/16th the combo mold is a major PITA!!!!!!!!!!!! It's double sided and you can only pour one side at a time. I'll post a pic for you tonight.

Fireshadow

I want to do more 1/16 1/8 and 1/4 than any of the tiny stuff. I'm already addicted to the powercoat process. Especially now that I'm learning brush and tap , and working on powercoat eyes.

Fatman

Get the assorted mold you'll be a lot happier, except they'll only be pouring one at a time. Sorry we corrupted you so bad!!!!!!!!LOL

Fireshadow

It's all right. At least my always knows where I'm at. The kids love seeing the finished stuff as well. Why I'm at it any of you guys know how to jb weld the collar off a ultra minnow with out messing up the hook slot?

Back