Walleye Jigs

Dan

There's not much walleye fishing down here in NC but it just so happens my home lake has a few in it. Though I rarely fish for them, I would like to try for them when they run up the rivers. Any suggestions on types of jigs that are more effective when they're running? Would love to see some pics of your favorite walleye ties for casting. Thanks

BucktailJiger

100_0080.jpg100_0102.jpg100_0070-1.jpg
These will catch Walleye
The recipe was handed down to me from Red Man and between these and Bucktail's it's about all I use for Walleye

JUNGLEJIM1

Those are cool!!!!!!!!!! Rockaroo's. Probably spelled it wrong. Need to try a few myself, probably use the walleye head mold.

Pup

Dan said:
Though I rarely fish for them, I would like to try for them when they run up the rivers. Any suggestions on types of jigs that are more effective when they're running?

Two-inch white or chartreuse curly-tailed grubs on unpainted 1/8-ounce ball head jigs. Possibly, three-inch grubs on 1/8 or 3/16-ounce jigs if the fish will be particularly large.

Dan

Nice jigs. I appreciate the help. I've got some 1/8oz ultra minnow heads... I figure I'll tie some up for walleyes and some smallmouth.

Kdog

I'll catch more river walleye during the spring run with a 1/32 or 1/16 ball head tipped with 1/2 of a night crawler than an other bait.

Dan

Kdog said:
I'll catch more river walleye during the spring run with a 1/32 or 1/16 ball head tipped with 1/2 of a night crawler than an other bait.
You talkin just a plain ballhead jig or a tied up jig tipped with a crawler?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Most of my walleye come from shorline fishing. I cast from shore for 'eyes in the fall at some of my local reservoirs, but do not do much in the river during spring run. Our rivers get pretty crowded. In still water and lakes i have caught them on big/bulky sculpin tied jigs and bucktail patterns but i opt for a head shape that doesn't cut through the water so easily. Fall fishing in cold water means a slow retrieve and i want to keep jigs up and out of the rocks. Flat bottom jig heads or even simple round heads i feel let you move a little slower than flat vertical styles. Again, i am casting from shore mainly and fight with the rocks constantly.

If using plastics....... 4" curly tails or 4" swim baits rule. If all else fails, husky jerks and other stickbaits are heard to beat.

Kdog

Dan said:
Kdog said:
You talkin just a plain ballhead jig or a tied up jig tipped with a crawler?

Ball head or minnow head with wire keeper, assorted colors but my go to is watermelon byt I have about 30 different colors or color combos and am not basgful about changing. The lighter the better and all I want is enough weight to let it bounce on the bottom without dredging.....

Dan

Our rivers get some pressure but not much. Like I said, we aren't known for having many eyes. the best time is probably when they're heading back into the lake. It's just hard for me to leave them crappies alone that time of year!

Back