Walleye Jigs

Hawnjigs

KISS
Summer epic wally bite history, now having to scratch hard to find a few strays and entice them to bite.

Cupla nites ago Jigger John's Boolie shank mount propeller ahead of bead collar has been a ticket. 1/8 ball head poured with tin down to 1/12 oz 2/0 Gamakatsu 604 heavy wire red hook #3 prop with fave 3" pearl Power Bait Twitchtail Minnow got seven 15-20" + unusual bonus 3# smallie. Next nite go figger only a single 17" + a newly introduced 17" saugeye.

So, might need to show em something different?

Hawnjigs

KISS
I don't consider walleye stupid since they are smart enuf not to hit the same jig twice inna row, tho waiting awhile and showing em something different MIGHT elicit another strike.

They apparently aren't particular judging by the gazillion commercial offerings of walleye specific lures. Got a 2 night window above freezing here at the only shoreline fishable spot worth any effort within 60 miles so decided to deviate from my usual tried and true PB pearl Twitchtail Minnow.

So on Tuesday nite tried a 2-3/4" albino pearl Lunker City Swimfish on a light 1/0 hook head and got 3 keepers 17 - 21".
1667512744302.png
Last nite tried an unusually small for walleye 2" blue ice Bobby Garland Baby Shad on a light #2 hook head for 3 keepers 15 - 22".
1667513040523.png
These baits were actually acquired for other applications so pleasantly I guess surprised they work for walleye. The lesson here tho might be that most anything could work and switching the appearance and action of offerings may be advantageous exploiting the same spot repeatedly. Only kept the 21" cuz bud Jon was hungering for a fresh fish dinner.

Last edited:

Bigjim

I have had that happen before. Every color in the rainbow in 2 inch twistertail. One night not a single hit until a young fellow switched to purple. The only color not in my box. It was in the bass box at home.

Bigjim

I throw tails at night sometimes they are better than rapalas. Yes, I had 26 colors and combo's. But no purple.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Could be that smaller baits might be more productive if the wallys are running small? This AM downsized to 4# gear and stuck with the above mentioned BG blue ice 2" Baby Shad on a 1/14 #2 head and got 3 keepers 16-21" all released.

I understand that the BG Baby Shad was the original whip tail soft plastic continuing favorite design for crappie. Kinda surprised that it is also an effective walleye bait.

What size wallys were targeted with the 2" twisters ?

hookup

Walleye are bonus fish on the waters I fish. Mostly catch them on baits with some sort of sparkle (clown) or chartreuse.

The rivers north of us - jerk baits in shad like colors work well

Bigjim

Fish at night always. Unless it is raining then daylight is good too. I did not like trolling, so jigging was fine. No light. Walleyes up to 28 inches. Pymatuning has good walleyes 18+++.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, jigging in the DARK is the (shoreline) ticket here too. Most floaters here troll cranks or pitch heavy spinnerbaits. Bank wally anglers typically dunk live minners. Jig casters tend to prefer 4" and larger softies and haven't seen anyone downsizing to 2" for wallys, cept u n me BJ.

And everybody's happy catching a fair share.

Bigjim

I tried a few threes but I light line 4 or 6 lb test and the two seemed fine.

Hawnjigs

KISS
When the wallys are running big 3" is my go to playing it safe with 10# gear, considering double digit wipers and cats are in the mix.

Too light line takes too long to play out biguns + breakoff risky, but agreed 4# is funner in less stressful situations.

Back