Walleye Heads with Keeper

ARjigger

Retooling a bit...painted up a couple dozen 1/8 oz. walleye head jigs. The keepers on these jig heads are a true advantage when the action gets heated. One doesn't have to mess with their plastics as they stay in place. If you install jig body right and use a relative "hard" plastic body (really tough to find plastic that stands up with off the shelf plastic manufacturers - I think they want their plastic to fail early to get you back to the store) it isn't uncommon to catch more than 25 fish without touching the bait. Awesome! Thanks Ron Don for this tip and intro to this jig head.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 131

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Those keepers really do work. Good lookin paint! Oh and you are correct about store bought plastics being so soft to increase their sales. A stinger bait can be poured Hard and have plenty of action. Now if you would just change over to a light wire hook. You could fish all day on the same head and plastic! :)

plateboater

Looking nice....where is a good place to purchase the keepers and are they made in different sizes?

Kdog

The keepers are kinda $ my solution was to use upholstery staples http://www.toolbarn.com/spotnails-87002.html

Then I made a little jig for rebending the staples. Jig was simple, cut a 40 degree bevel on the end of a piece of 3" long 1-1/2 wide x3/8 thick stock, cut a slot ~ 0.040 wide 3/8 behind the bevel drill a couple holes and tap 1/4-20 cut a second piece to act as cover.

Slide a chunk of staples in the jig, tighten cover, use a small hammer to bend the exposed staples to the 40 degree bend. Remove staples, lay on a fire proof surface and blast with a propane torch to remove glue. Although not necessary, I polish in a tumbler with aluminum oxide to remove residual glue and make pretty.

toadfrog

I've been picking up molds that people have gotten stupid with using a dremel to mod the collar or something . Then I fix them for keeper wires and under spins . After I get done they are not too bad looking molds and work good . Bought one for 8 bucks shipping and all sold it for 19 + shipping with a full explanation of what I did to it to make it use full . Try to post a pic of the next one .

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Good looking colors, fond of them all in one combination or another...... and you have some good ones shown. One you are missing is pearl belly with flo. orange top side. :eek: I would need a few more black/orange as well.

If you don't have the keeper wires, a dab of super glue right at the head does wonders to hold plastics in place. Put a bottle of the gel type super glue in your tackle box and give it a try.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Modified mold? For painted heads w/ eyes, those are as good as it gets.

Plate, ready made keepers come in only one size and best price seems to be $30 per 1,000 from Shortys.

Back