Vise

walleyetracker85

Hey guys I'm looking for recommendations on vises. I will mostly be using it to tie crawler harnesses for walleye fishing. I may use it in the future for tying hair jigs. Thanks for the help guys.

LedHed

Sponsor
Vintage Herter's or Thompson would work. You can get separate thread posts with them also. Vises are ~$15 - 20, same for the posts.

I like the Regal too but it might be a bit pricey for what you are lookin to do.

walleyetracker85

Thanks for the replies guys. I just looked at the regal medallion. Looks nice, but way to pricey for what I wanna do. Any other suggestions?

Kdog

I've tied dozens of crawler harnesses without a vise and never saw the need for a vise when tying them. I usually use a wooden block to maintain my hook spacing, Tie the lead hook first, then tie the trailer hook. Biggest thing is finding knot that you like and that stays tight. Superglue really helps

Not a bad starter vise
http://tinyurl.com/okeksft

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I have never heard of using a vise to make harnesses so started looking around YouTube and found this......

[video=youtube]

Makes all the sense in the world to me know, great way to make it simple especially for keeping distance between hooks consistent. I've only ever used harnesses with 2 hooks though.

As for a vise to mainly do this, any non-rotating vise would do. Thompson Model A style is about as simple as you can get. But as the video shows, you might want something that the angle can be pointed vertical. Not sure what vise is used in the video......... i have it muted here at work. ;)

Maybe get a dirt cheap vise and a separate vise that has a few more bells and whistles to do both hooks of a harness and use the better to tie jigs/flies on?

walleyetracker85

Thanks for all the replies guys. I was looking at do it deluxe master vise. The part number on their website is 2114. Anybody have any reviews on this vise?

Back