Vise for large jigs (5/0).

Thinkingredneck

My Regal doesn't quite hold it and I am afraid I will damage it. On another site I heard that a Cascade Crest would work. I don't want to spend much as most of my flies and jigs are 2/0 or smaller. I would appreciate your input.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, what are you tying on such large hooks? What target species?

Never tried larger than 1/0 Gami 604 on my HMH Spartan. Mostly I tie #6 & #4 hook heads for trout.

Checking the HMH website, "Magnum" jaws are available that claim to fit up to 6/0 hooks but expensive at almost $70. My stock HMH came with "Omni" jaws that fit #20 to 2/0 hooks.

I think these are bare hook ratings not taking into account the weight of jig heads.

Last edited:

Wra22

Take a look at Peak vises. Specifically, the LIRS or Jurassic. The are a couple of YouTube videos on them.

toadfrog

My Regal doesn't quite hold it and I am afraid I will damage it. On another site I heard that a Cascade Crest would work. I don't want to spend much as most of my flies and jigs are 2/0 or smaller. I would appreciate your input.
Back in the day I just welded a pair of vice grips to a piece of plate steel . Looked sort of like your standard fly vise set up.

QPassage

My Peak Apex hold a 5/0. I tie several big jigs for bass. 5/0 & 4/0 hooks are my regular hooks.

Attachments

• 20180223_182947.jpg
    20180223_182947.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 7

RockGeo

Thinkingredneck, how do you like the Colorado Angler 102? I saw it for just under $25 on Amazon. I have the "magnum" jaws for my HMH and really like them for tying 4/0 and 5/0 hooks for 1/2 to 3/4 ounce walleye jigs. But as Hawn mentioned, they aren't cheap.

Back