Vise advice for a 4/0 hook

Kanooper

In need of a new vise. I mainly tie walleye jigs on hooks up to 4/0 in size. Any recommendations on a vice that can handle larger diameter wire hooks?

Pup

If you can afford to and want to spend the money, Dyna-King's Barracuda would be a great choice. I use mine almost exclusively to hold 5/0 weighted superline hooks to tie larger hybrid lures. It's built extremely well and holds all of my hooks solidly. Of course, it very well should for its price.

toadfrog

I know you guys hate to hear me say this . Get a Thompson D or similar lever vise . It ain't purdy an shiny or have whizbangs an gozenta's . It's just a vise that will serve a basic purpose for a life time .

Jig Man

CrappieHappy said:
Bucko said:
won't a peak rotary hold that size? I really need to get a rotary vise....

I know Peak offers saltwater jaws. My Peak opens pretty good. But I do t
Have any hooks that big.

I'll let ya know if it will hold a hook that big. Gonna tye some stuff to take to the coast purdy soon... May have to get the larger jaws. Krap, I'll go see if one will fit in it now be right back!

Jig Man

Nope, it will hold a 4/0, but cha can't torque on it... It'll slip. Gonna have to get the other jaws!

Kanooper

Jig man. Was that the peak with salt water jaws or the regular jaws that won't hold a 4/0? The dyna kings look great, but a bit outta my price range. Looking for something $100-$200.

Jig Man

Regular jaws... They are only recommended for 02 or smaller. Saltwater jaws are for hook sizes up to 6/0 ( hook wire diameters from approximately .040" to .075"). I hear ya about the other vises, but hey we can dream!

Back