Vice Question

HairyMooseKnuckles

I have a question. I want a Regal vice, but I'm trying to save a few pennies. I was wondering if I bought the head and stem of the Regal, would it fit my current base? Here is my current base of my Terra vice.

Kdog

It most likely will. you just gotta measure the stem diameters but almost all vices I've had are the same diameter. But I've seen some with a 3/8 stem and have one with a 7/16 stem but most are 1/2 inch stems.

Closest info I can find indicates the regal has a 10mm stem and the tera vise has a 3/8 stem. So it should work or you make need to modify your base with a drill bit to open it up, but I doubt that will be necessary.

Shoemoo

The 10mm Regal will not fit a pedestal made for a vise with a 3/8 stem. If the stem on your Terra fits snug in the hole you will need to ream it out. However, a lot of cheap pedestals are actually large enough to fit a 10mm stem.

I have a Danvise, which is also 10mm. It fits perfectly in the pedestal that came with my Cabela's deluxe fly tying kit.

davidriley

They look very nice. Good job you are not having to pay UK prices for one as I note one of the major UK tackle dealers has them for sale at £310 (about USdollars 475).

David

HairyMooseKnuckles

I spent several hours watching you tube on vices. I just can't make up my mind. This miring I'm watching videos on the Norvice. Don't have enough pennies, but it sure looks like a good vice too!

Pup

HairyMooseKnuckles said:
I spent several hours watching you tube on vices. I just can't make up my mind. This miring I'm watching videos on the Norvice. Don't have enough pennies, but it sure looks like a good vice too!

My best advice is that if holding a hook is all you're concerned about, then most any quality vise will do the job.

It's when you may want to use your vise to hold other things, such as materials to tie directly upon, that we might enter into another dimension... ;)

Check out the vises from Griffin if you feel any desire to go...to another dimension.

Kdog

A couple months ago, I picked up a norvise really cheap on Ebay. It was in the jewelry making tools and supplies. Long story but I got it along with misc earring studs and loops and a whole box of feathers for less than 125 bucks. Wife got the supplies and I got the vice and automatic bobbin and 23 spools.

The vise took some getting used to as did the automatic bobbin which I am still not quite comfortable using. The vise OTOH took me 3 jigs to master. I even have the midge jaws which are great for 1/100oz jigs on #10 and #12 hooks. The true rotary feature is nice as is the index and lock function. I do not use the full rotary for much more than wraping the hook, but did make a bunch of thread necked bucktail jigs that were as good as any I have ever seen and is was simple to do.

Most of the higher end vise have features that you will not use. So do not worry about that part. Some feature you will find helpful and others you will wonder why they did that. It all about your confidence and what you want the vice to do. Fortunately the better vices all hold the hook solidly and most accomodate a wide range of hook sizes.

Good luck in your search/aquisition.

HairyMooseKnuckles

Thanks guys. I always fret when ordering things I haven't seen. Like most people, I have a limited budget and I'm afraid whatever choice I make will be the wrong one. I've been wanting a regal for quite awhile now until I saw the Norvice on you tube.

HairyMooseKnuckles

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Norvice and Auto Bobbin. I hope I made the right decision. The Norvice and Regal Revolution were about the same price. No going back now. I can't help it, I'm nervous. A lot of money for me.

Kdog

Nor vise is a love hate thing but I love mine. Most guys like them after they use them. I still watch for them on Ebay and there is a strong market for them. Often they sell used for about the same price as a new one. Which is something I do not understand. Brings back an article from Car and Driver I thing that got into the dangers of drinking on ebay. or as mickey Gilley says,

Back