Vice Decision

Youth Fisher

I'm thinking about upgrading to a new vise. Im pretty set on the peak rotary fly tying vice. Is there any bad news on this vise. Also wouldn't mind hearing the good about them too. Thanks

Shoemoo

A lot of people here have them and seem to like them. You really should check it out in person, though. Everyone's style and tying environment is different. I tie my jigs while sitting in a recliner with the vise in my lap, so the stem on the Peak is way too short for my needs.

Do you have a local fly shop or outdoors store where you can handle one?

Pup

I read a very good comment here recently that, paraphrased, most quality vises hold a hook well nowadays. Excepting the lowest-cost entry level vises, I'd have to agree. The key, in my opinion, is to have a vision for what you want to tie in the future. A popular hook-holding vise may be fine for a while, until you want to start playing tying tricks with it...

If all you look for is a hook-holding characteristic, then your choice is likely fine.

LedHed

Sponsor
I like to crank on my jigs - need a heavy base and vise - that's why I use a Regal. Can tye size 6s, go to 8s, and back to 6s with out changing a thing..... Been doing vise "homework" for a long time now and the Regal fits my needs.

Tye on as many vises that you can before you make your final decision.

hookup

Rotary or non-rotary?

I tied on elcheapo non rotary vices for most of my life. Getting a rotary Anvil was like going from driving an old clunker to a new sports car.

I like their c-clamp best of all I've seen, but you need to drop an extra 40 clams on it.

Pick a price range that's within your budget, pick the features you want, then do your research on what's in the market place.

Jay Wirth

My recommendation for a jig vise would be one where the jaws will sit parallel with your table top (not angled like a typical fly vise). Something adjustable allows the best of both worlds where you can tie both jigs and flies.

Back