Vice Advice?

Hawnjigs

KISS
So, Jubs, what's your verdict on the Anvil Apex? Good, bad, quirks? Is it better than your previous vices?

A few left on eBay $89 with free SH is tempting.

Jubs

I like it for flies and smaller jigs. It does work fine with the larger jigs but I haven't mastered the jaw settings yet and the way I put my hooks into jaws I like them right at the edge (the jaws are notched for larger hooks) and I find I have to play around with it a bit to get it set just right on the adjustment for larger hooks. My personality is that I have to have everything perfect or I am not happy and with more practice I think I will have this vise set up perfect for jigs as well.

I would say for money you're not going to get much more, if anything, out of a higher priced vise that is this style (aka the HMH that you were mentioning) but that is just a guess since I have no personal experience with them. This vise is rock solid and for the money I am happy with it, and as time goes by and get more familiar with it I am sure I will love it, I felt the same way with my Danvise till I learned how to set it up and use it in a way that works for me.

I think the Danvise and the Apex are both great vises especially for the price of both. I personally plan to use the Apex mainly for flies and small jigs but will use it as a travel vise for jigs when needed as well. Like you said the eBay price is hard to beat and that is where I bought mine and had a great experience with the seller it was shipped quickly and was a smooth transaction.

Hawnjigs

KISS
OK, bought the Anvil Apex on eBay. Yours & almost every review I've read can best be described as enthusiastically pleased, and the price was too good to pass. Stainless steel and quality evident from your pics sealed the deal.

Hawnjigs

KISS
OK, here's a quick review from a low mileage tier:

1. I like the simple ergonomics of rotating a level straight head vise for 360* viewing & tying access.

2. The four corner plastic nubs on the base bottom keep it solid steady in place on table top.

3. Jaws work OK with #2 & smaller jig hook light heads, tho the lock down cam has a bit much play requiring perhaps extra jaw tightness.

4. The bad part: the slot grooves in the jaws for larger hooks are useless with Sickles - unable to securely hold a 3/8 oz. 1/0 heavy wire Sickle head in a horizontal shank position anywhere in the jaws. In addition to slipping, since larger hooks are partially in & out of the slots, saltwater hooks finish gets damaged. Positioning hooks outside the slots nearer the tip of the jaws there is not enuf bearing surface to grip larger hooks, even with enuf jaw pressure to deform the hooks.

I am somewhat able to hold the jig in place gripping the hook between fingers while wrapping, but its inconvenient having to hold material in place at the same time.

Back