Vice Advice?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Right now I've got a Terra Rotary
http://www.condorflytying.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=T8191

And I'm thinking about upgrading to an HMH Spartan.
http://www.condorflytying.com/product-p/hmh1c.htm

The Terra works OK, but its kinda clumsy - there is no rotary tension adjustment and the dual screw jaw adjustment seems sloppy. I don't like the rubber O-ring tensioner.

I like the no frills appearance of the cam lock Spartan. Don't need features like a bobbin crade since I don't dub or spin wrap. Can anyone advise me if the vice positioned straight horizontal allows for good tying access thru the full rotary range of motion?

Jubs

That is suppose to be a good vise, but if you want to save some money and likely get the same look into an Anvil Apex Review found here I am considering one of these at the moment actually. I currently have a Danvise with the extension arm which works great for jigs and flies but I don't enjoy tying flies on it as much as jigs. I find when I tie flies I rarely use the rotary feature except to reposition the hook upside down or to check the back of the fly. I want something that is smaller in the head area so I can get my big hands on the fly since I usually don't tie very many patterns over a #10 usually #12-#18.

As far as the the position the straighter the plane you are rotating on seems to keep the rotation truer. What I mean is I notice if I change the angle of the jig/hook in the vise and use the rotary function I get the hook flopping at strange angles which isn't a problem with jigs since the thread grabs on the head and eye of the hook and rotates with the jig on the cradle. Now in flies I have a problem with the thread popping if I don't throw a half hitch in it first and or thread building up cause its winding around the shank as I rotate the vise.

I am no expert on vises by any means just reflecting on my personal experiences. There is a lot of guys on here that have used a wider variety of vises than I have and hopefully they will chime in as well. Ledhead has more vises than anyone I have seen so hopefully he can give you some advise.

Pup

Hawnjigs said:
Can anyone advise me if the vice positioned straight horizontal allows for good tying access thru the full rotary range of motion?

I have my vise jaws positioned exactly this way. My vise functions as a true rotary vise with its jaws in this position. I have tied jigs from 1/64 to 3/4 ounce in weight with it. It's fine for all of my applications except when I want to add long strands of tinsel to jigs like those in the photo below.

sunbass001.jpg

I do find that the vise jaws sometimes get in the way of the strands of tinsel. Makes positioning them horizontally a tad bit awkward, but that's just a minor inconvenience to me.

Hawnjigs

KISS
The Anvil Apex looks impressive with the SS construction a big +. A review on another site mentions that the cam lever can disengage used as a handle when turning the head. Great price!

"Pup", what brand/model vise are you mentioning? Not having used a level head vice yet I didn't realize long material ties might be obstructed by the head.

Some pics of the Spartan show a round coil spring around the jaws barrel, some don't. Is this a necessary part of the vice?

Pup

Hawnjigs said:
"Pup", what brand/model vise are you mentioning? Not having used a level head vice yet I didn't realize long material ties might be obstructed by the head.

My vice is a Griffin Superior 3ARP.

Jubs

I just ordered the Anvil Apex I will let you know how I like when it gets here. I will put it to the test as soon as it gets here as well I just picked up some #16 dry fly hooks and they look like a #20 nymph hook.

Jubs

Right on Doc! Who made yours for you? My custom 7' ultralight made to balance and match a Pflueger President XT 6725xtx model is (hopefully) being made right now and I am buying one he has had for awhile cause a customer backed out that is a 11'6" crappie rod from Bigdaddyrods.com so I am hoping to have them in a couple weeks or so. I have never had a custom rod so I am looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about.

I ordered the Anvil bobbing holder/rest as well for this vise just in case I need it for some of the patterns I might be tying I figured it would be better to have it and leave it off than to have it and get frustrated if I didn't have it. I can't wait to get my hands on it and give this vise a good testing. I went into my local fly shop yesterday and bought my Danvise to test fit some accessories they had and the owner said he had a spare head (which I assume means jaws) in storage that a customer had him order from the company on warranty and he said he will dig it out and give it to me since he doesn't need it. So I will be set on a jig vise for quite some time as well.

Jubs

Yeah I figure it will give me some extra reach casting light jigs and have the option to not cast at all and use it just like a jigging pole. I have a 12' jigging pole but its a pain since it doesn't have a reel just an eye on the tip to tie on your leader. I just picked up a Pflueger President for it yesterday. Still waiting on the President XT I ordered for the other one though hopefully will be here by Friday.

Yeah its amazing how light a quality rod is compared to a cheap one. My Cortland setup is like a feather compared to my old cheap setup I have and I am still learning how to fly fish but having a quality setup makes it so much easier. I couldn't even roll cast with my cheap setup. The underspin might be a good idea of my old cheap rod as its pretty worthless for using as a fly rod that's for sure. I also have two Scientific Angler kits 9' 4 piece 5/6 wt (6 wt line) general use and 9' 4 piece 7/8 wt (8 wt line) bass setup, I have never taken either one of these outside yet though I just bought them because I got a smoking deal on them since Walmart in my area has quit carrying SA stuff and now seem to be carrying Cortland's lower line of stuff. If I decide to stick with the fly fishing thing I will have to have Randy make me a fly rod as well.

Sorry we hijacked your thread Hawnjigs! I will post up a review on the Apex when it comes it. Have you made up your mind on what you're going to get for a vise?

Hawnjigs

KISS
I'm researching all your suggestions thru online customer reviews. Right now, its down to HMH Spartan & Anvil Apex, both with outstanding satisfied customer feedback. A similar simple cam lock Renzetti Apprentice was rejected due to apparent ethics of the company in patenting the bent post design & going after other mfgs already using that design for infringement. The Regals are out of my league for now and I don't care for another screw lock like the Griffins. Will wait for your Apex comments Doc & still open to suggestions for a level head rotary.

Jubs

I am the same way as you I was really interested in a couple of the Renzetti vises as well then I came across that and I took them off my list because of that.

Jubs

The vise came in and man it's nice feeling! I haven't tied anything up yet as I was running all day today and as soon as I got it set up I got distracted making some tool caddies then cleaning up my mess I made with that. The only complaint if I had one would be the bobbin holder seems like it would be in the way if I was to keep it attached all the time but I have a trash bag attachment thing so I left it off and have it just in case I need it. The pedestal is nice, this is my first time experiencing a pedestal as it comes with both a very nice clamp and a nice heavy pedestal as well. I will keep you updated when I get a chance to use it.

Jubs

Shot of the jaws. It has 2 notches in the back for larger hooks.

4509673067_91bf383b80.jpg

A shot of the head.

4509673949_39232844b0.jpg

Overall shot with the trash bag added.

4510314310_2ce3785d2d.jpg

Pedestal, I added a strip of magnet to hold hooks.

4510315448_89e140d03c.jpg

4509677763_0c0dd6145c.jpg

Here is a size comparison to a Danvise with the extension arm, this thing is tiny but tough!

4510317774_27eef8bcd0.jpg

I am still getting use to it as it has a totally different feel from my Danvise but so far I like it. I tied up swap jigs on it today and it did great I am still getting use to the jaw adjustments and all but still did great. I will tell you this thing is built like a tank and is heavy especially for its small size! I didn't get a picture of the bobbin cradle as I have it put away but it looks good with it as well.

Jubs

I will get back to you on that I am heading out of town to Cabelas but I will do that when I get a chance tonight or tomorrow depending on what time I get home tonight.

Jubs

Here you go DC.

1/100 Little Guys #12 VMC
4514271010_808705de62.jpg

1/100 #12 sickle

4513631565_d7bc78c2ee.jpg

Dai-Riki #135 Scud/Pupa Hook #18

4514272232_d0db6b5362.jpg

Dai-Riki #305 Dry Fly Hook Standard wire and length #16

4513632643_c554e35c37.jpg

Jubs

To be honest I didn't test them. So I just tested the #18 (the smallest hook I currently own) and it bent the hook with no problem and had plenty of adjustment left in the jaws. Personally I find larger hooks harder to hold than smaller hooks, and it did well with the Shad head jigs yesterday once I got it properly adjusted. I actually thought I bent one of the hooks when tying with it but I didn't I just had more tension on the thread than I realized.

Oops, forgot to answer the other questions. It's an Anvil Apex and I got it off of eBay.

Jubs

Yeah I keep drooling over the Nor-Vise but like you said I think part of me is scared of the limitations of it and am still weighting the pros to cons of it which in my eye are bit even especially with the price tag and then my being me having to get all the attachments for it. I like the fact you can make dubbing brushes with it though I am planning on making a dubbing box soon when I can figure out all the parts I need but I think I have a list in my head and can get the rest of the list from my fishing partner as we saw a homemade one at our tying class.

As for tube flies no I haven't started tying them but have been really really tempted to just haven't wanted to start investing in the supplies to get it going. The owner of my local fly shop ties some for Pike and they look like a lot of fun but I keep putting myself in check for now lol. I am like you and have a long list of patterns to get done first before I venture even further into flies.

Back