Vertical jigging Master

jiggerjohn

Fatman & Ridge, When I talked with him the other day, He said he didn't necessarily like to travel all the way to Buffalo, but the promoter was insisting he come! So, I suspect he will be going to that one -next time I talk to him, I'll confirm for sure!

jiggerjohn

I noted this morning, when experimenting with tying Red's fabric jig, that the wool at the center,pulls-in water instantly & expands, thus pushing the overlaying flash & satin strands outward (circular) for more action. In effect the blossoming wool keeps the tail fibers from clumping together (which yields less action in a "skinny-minny" type of look).The overall appearance is more like a robust chub, than a half starved, low protein tiny baitfish! Hmmm, this could be further reasoning behind Red's catch of 100,000+ crappies during the past 20 years on Pymatuning!

Fatman

Excellent info!!!!!!!!! Thanks, and it's no wonder he doesn't want to travel to Buffalo in Feb!!! I don't like doing it either!!LOL

jiggerjohn

Redear, Yep, I was reflecting on where else I'd ever seen the use of fresh wool. Then in my warped memory banks I recalled the tiny round wool clump that the great Glen Lau ( the guy who did the super video "Bigmouth" and a Fishing Hall of Famer) used in his little Lau Lure-a 1/4 oz weight forward spinner ; during the 50's a youthful Lau worked the then described "dead sea" that Lake Erie had become due to pollution & over netting, with his wool tipped jigspinner, catching an AVERAGE of 200 pounds of fish per day (best single DAY was over 800 POUNDS -this from Glen himself in an email to me, from a careful account in his personal journal). Was it his lure or the wool that did most damage??

During the past few days I've been using a little chunk of the wool Red Denmark had given me, for topping(sparse chunk) over the flashing on my Boolies -as of this morning my son & I have landed an actual count 61 nice (some very nice) rainbow trout on the wool-bools, from a very hard fished local lake, where even the wait n bait guys are bombing out! Must be WOOL POWER!!

jiggerjohn

I have to share another bit of Red's wisdom, that I got from our phone conversation today. Especially since guys sometimes fuss way too much over their gear, rather than tactics that actually interest FISH ! I had asked Red what brand rod he liked to use for his well honed vertical jigging. He laughed and said, "whatever 5 1/2' light graphite rod that happens to be on sale when I'm shopping for a new one!" But he really hit the nail on the head when he told me of the time he drove over to the big,deep, weedy natural lake,Conneaut, about a half hour from his house one day, in search of big bluegills, smallmouth, pike, or whatever else this productive lake would cough up. After launching his boat, Red discovered he'd left all his rods at home! Rather than waste another hour round trip to get set up, he scrambled through his trunk and found an old reel mounted on just a rod HANDLE -went out with only that, vertical jigged, and got a nice bunch! As Red puts it," The tackle don't matter, it's all about concentrating on TECHNIQUE!"

Fatman

I would love to get to one of these shows and listen to this guy!!!!!!!!!!!! If we don't get all that knowledge out we're going to lose it!!!!

redear

Ya know, I have seen guys like this before, legends on the lake, and when you run into them on the lake you notice that they have nary a bit of new fancy equipment. lol makes you think about all the money youv'e spent on your equipment.

redear

I agree ledhead! what I like is it's out of the box per se , and his jigs and his technique really add to our bag of tricks and it's another weapon in our arsenal, I like that because you never know what the fish are gonna want.

ragged edge

Amazing and fascinating story!!!! Tell us more and don't hold back.......lol. I went fishing with my uncle one time on Lake Eufala and he forgot to bring his fishin pole. Rather than drive 6 miles back to Checotah, he took about 20' of line from my pole and wrapped the line around a beer can. When he caught a fish the line was wrapped around the beer can.

jiggerjohn

Hey Redear, Your comment above " when you run into them on the lake you notice that they have nary a bit of new fancy equipment", reminds me of asking Red of his preferred 4# test line for jigging -"don't know, whatever is on at the time!"

Or with the new fancy outfits of today -years ago, I fished with a legendary light tackle muskie angler, Len Hartman, who held ALL spinning line test world records (including an 18#er on 2# test,39# on 4, 46# on 6, up to a 67#12 oz on 12#test).Hartman was an always on-the-water (18 hours every day!) guy like Red. Len DID show up at my house one time with brand NEW equipment for our 2 week muskie trip to his ole stomping grounds on the St Lawrence river - he had two $12 no-name brand spinning reels (as long as the front drag was decent,said Len),purchased from K-mart on the way to my place, and 2 medium action ,fiberglass 7' rods that cost even less!Len used the cheap,but functional stuff HARD for a trip,then threw it away or gave it away (I still have those rods!).Modern muskie 'masters' would cringe,since one of their huge plugs cost more than Hartman's entire tackle selection (of course, these days, the only successful muskie guy I know is Red, who catches more of the big pike by accident with his tiny jigs, than most who hunt them with "shark gear" on purpose!).

jiggerjohn

Fatman, Ole Red doesn't own a computer, and he's generally still so busy with various outdoors activities, that I doubt he'd sit down to type much! A typical high energy, rugged outdoorsman all his life, but he tells me he's forced ,grudgingly, to slow down a bit these days ;still doubt we could convince him to slow down his off season jig tying for computer activities!

Back