Vertical jigging Master

redman

Question for Jigger John I have read and reread this thread and still don't know exactly what the silver tinsel flash that Red is using on his jigs? Maybe I am overlooking something very simple. Plateboater was kind enough to send me a couple of Red's jigs to copy along with some wool. Now that I got the wool and the fabric I need to find the flash. I was impressed as to the simplicity of the jigs. I will tie up some and will use them around the cypress trees with some of the jigs and will report back on my success. Do want to try some of Jungle Jim's Ducks with wool. Crappies here are in the deep water after spawn and will be coming back to the trees shortly.Want to be ready when they make there return.

Redman

jiggerjohn

Redman, Hi,ole pal ! Usually Red just gets 3"-4" patches of silver metallic flash fabric from JoAnn's Fabrics. Howevr, silver flashabou works just great (personally, I love gold flashabou for all my jigs!) HOWEVER, this Spring Red really got into a material at JoAnn's(thanks to his wife!) that is called "white brocade" that contained bold silver flash strands right in among the bright white strands. My son,Sean, fell in love with this material and just recently began tying his own "Red's jig" exclusively with this silver/white thread ; this past Friday on a super bright post frontal day on Pymatuning ,where other boaters were constantly flashing the zero sign with their hands, Sean actually outfished both Red & I combined, with his white pattern! Hopefully Hawnjigs will post a few of the photos from that outing today, but despite the slowness of others that afternoon, the 3 of us in Cap'n Red's boat had to scramble to find extra buckets, small coolers, and makeshift containers,once we filled the main cooler, to hold the crappie take(Red ALWAYS feeds lots of friends and is building his own freezer supply for next winter!!!)! Lots of fun cleaning these on Red's back porch, overlooking his own lake, but we sure didn't get back home to Pittsburgh early!!

plateboater

First time out in IL yesterday and had Red's jig tied on along with another rod of my own version. Posted on fishing success. I BELIEVE in the power of Red's jig design. Going to have to call Red and thank him.

redman

Jigger John Got it.Thank you fabric is great and do think that I do have a life time supply. I got more of a few colors that I wanted to try. Do want to try some ducks and kiptails with the wool. BTW the silver metallic cloth is out of this world. Wish that you had found Red years earlier.

Redman

Fireshadow

Can someone please let me know how to buy some of Red's jigs. I would love to try them and see if I could copy one as well. Thank you.

jiggerjohn

Thanks Hawnjigs for posting the latest pics (5/22) ! Red continues to amaze with his uncanny knack for locating the tiny spots on structure that hold crappies (and perch,walleyes,bluegill, and white bass!), even in windy conditions. He rarely ever anchors but is an absolute master at holding position with an electric trolling motor! Of course his jigs -especially in white- seem irresistable to even shy biting fish !

Redman, most of the fish on this week's trip preferred that bright white "brocade" material -my son had a bunch tied up, but now needs to restock -yep, those brushpiles ate almost as many as the crappies did! We discovered that jigs tied on Hawnjigs new 1/16 oz darthead were especially appealing to large crappies and perch.

Fireshadow, PM sent ! I think you are extremely wise to order a batch of Red's jigs to LEARN how to tie them exactly!!

JUNGLEJIM1

Those are some phenomenal catches, nice to hear the weather and fishing is heating up there. I'm a big fan of the dart heads myself.

redman

I did well with the dart heads myself this year. With JungleJims Flash ducks we had better luck that most out on the lake. With the cold weather and wind it was a tough spring crappie season. The Large mouth Bass Loved the Black and Chartreuse dart heads. Will have to tie up some of Red's wool and satin jigs on some Darts.

Again thanks for all the post and info on this unique jig. So simple but effective. This only proves that you can teach a old Dog and new Trick.

Redman

Hawnjigs

KISS
Um, looks like a brown drip out of the bulge, Fatman.

I've caught a few way smaller sheepshead and those things can pull. Can't imagine what a big un like that would feel on JiggerJohn's 4'9" one hander and 4# test.

Noticing the shadow from the fish, must have been really late in the afternoon?

Back