UV cured glues

Psilvers

Do any of you guys use any of the head cements that are cured with UV light?  I have used Clear Cure Goo with good results - so far.  However, I have not fished with these jigs yet, so I do not know whether it holds up well under actual use. So far, I like it because it coats the threads in one coat and it   looks good.

Pete

Bucho

I use it commercially.

Given proper care - fresh batteries, no other laquer soaking trhrough from below etc.- with good results. Its not as hard as 2k coat though.

It will stand up to anything but halibut & barracuda etc.

Bucho

O yeah, sorry, german marketers use so many english idioms and abreviations I get confused sometimes.

Psilvers

Thanks! I might try putting on a thin coat of Epoxy after the UV cured glue. At least then, I won't have to rotate the jig.

Pete

Bucho

It is questionable wether you get a nice even coat without rotation. And once you go through the trouble of messing around with epoxy, why pass on its ability to soak in and harden out deep into the material where light doesn`t reach?

UV first epox second makes sence in streamer head build up where you want to instantly fixate the shape of the material and then give it a nice hard non-tacky top coat

Psilvers

I thought a top coat of epoxy might help protect it from toothy critters in saltwater - bluefish, mackeral, etc.

Pete

drdore

I use Solarez. They have 4 levels of thickness, with one for sealing threads that has a built in brush. I tied some 1/4 oz. jigs for a friend, who jigs deep trees in the winter(30 to 50 feet). I gave him one to test for longevity. He reported back that he had used it for 2 days, caught around 20 fish and it looked like it did when I gave it to him. I have used it to build eyes on flies, glue in feathers, hackle and fur. I have found it does a great job coating jig heads without change to colors. I had real problems with white and all shades of chartreuse, but have not since using Solarez.

Bucho

Solarez arrived today. Very hard, very tack-free, much better!

Don`t like the simple tubes though. And at 17€ for three small 5gr tubes its not exactly a steal. I would like to learn about a more economic source.

Edit: Found their webshop. 4oz bottle is on the way!  :icon14:

Back