US Reels Supercaster Spinning?

Hawnjigs

KISS
The more I read about em, the better they sound. Anyone have any experience with them? Even the top of the line Pro series around $200 is way cheaper than high end Shimano or Daiwa. The original SX series is deeply discounted on eBay.

JUNGLEJIM1

A friend has an SX and really likes his. I worked for Cabela's for a little while and the WAVE RUNNER reels were popular,supposed to be tangle free. I'm a Shimano fan and love my Stella,Sustain,Stradic mgfb and Stradics. Next reel may be a Runner,will be checking them out more closely.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Well, have used my 240 SX enuf to post a commentary. The spool without arbor fit an entire 300 yds. of 20# Fireline Braid! Overkill in fresh water, but possibly useful from salty shoreline. Yes, the wide narrow spool is great for casting distance, but does not adequately manage loose loop casting knots. Usually have a few to deal with, but coupla days ago throwing 1/4 oz. jigs in the ocean had a bad session with way more casting knots to deal with. Also, like online reviews stated, the spool retainer/drag adjustment nut would grab the line after a cast and loop the retrieve onto it making a big mess. Guess I'll have to grind off some plastic, & it won't be pretty.

Might be better with mono(untested), but I wouldn't recommend the version I have for braid.

Fatman

Isn't US reel the company Ray Scott started up after he bailed out on BASS??? (speaking of - he's going to be promoting BASS again)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Too bad you have to modify it. :-/ Loop knots drive me crazy and would be worse easily getting wrapped up around other moving parts.

300yds would be overkill here, but many do use braid. It sounds like most use a much cheaper (and larger diameter) mono on the spool first as a filler or backing for 2/3 the spool then use the braid as the main line used for fishing.

I had tried braid once and it did not go well. haha Ripped it off and re-spooled with my usual cheap a$$ mono after about 6 trips on the water. Was pretty disapointed after spending the cash on it, but lesson learned - not for me!

Hawnjigs

KISS
I don't pay attention to tournaments or their stars, but Googled up an article wherein Ray Scott endorsed Supercasters when they first came out. He is pictured with a mono filled reel.

I like 200 yds. of mono on spinning reels here for saltwater shoreline, & have been spooled a few times. Never managed to land anything when down to the spool knot. A top shot knot creates a weak spot I'd rather avoid.

Generally, a braid compatible spinning reel has to be capable of full stroke vertical oscillation to lay line evenly from top to bottom of the spool. And while limp mono handles better than stiff, microfiber is the opposite in my experience with stiffer Fireline fused or Power Pro handling better than softer versions of Spiderwire & Tuf-Line.

hookup

I had problems with them and not impressed. Sent it back and got a refund.

Read a review once and the writer said it's a $60 reel, but not a $100. I agree.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Grinding down the spool retainer cap wasn't that hard, but haven't used the reel since. Probably give it another go next trip out. Yah, it feels like a low-mid quality reel in function, think I paid around $60 or so on eBay. If it still wind knots, I'll change over to mono.

toadfrog

They say the braid line is the new thing . But I can't tell a lot of difference between that and the old black line we used to get on a cardboard tad for our cane poles . Stuff ain't for me. Mono all the way. I'll try a supercaster after I read what happens to you guys . Maybe , cheap little sucker ain't I.

Fatman

I checked out a few of the Bass boards and it's about an 80% bad rating to 20% good. For the price they'res better reels out there.

Back