Update On JigCraft

Hawnjigs

KISS
Relative to previous posts, this on today's news to stir things up.

"WASHINGTON — The National Security Agency on Monday morning released a warning that Russian state-sponsored actors have been “seen in the wild” breaching virtual workspaces — a popular tool for the U.S. defense industry amid the pandemic — to extract sensitive information."

Since this is a jig fishing forum and water is getting cold, I can contribute that this season 2" natural baitfish color minnow softies have been very effective enticing big trout to bite. When using ties for variety, red-orange heads and fluff seem to get bit better than former go to black and white.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
With the country in a mess and there is no good answer to a lot of the questions and problems.... i find myself just shrugging my shoulder at the news because i unfortunately expect it now.  I have a deep seated "not my monkeys, not my circus" attitude and just worry about myself and how i can keep my business alive.  I now sell masks in my retail sporting goods and custom print shop so i'll be damned if they try to shut me down agin, i am essential.

As for the Russian bots.... not really sure what their interest would be here other than to attempt to spam the forum.  Just the other day i accidentally approved what i thought was a legit sign-up and then closed out and didn't come back to the site for several hours.  When i got back, there were over 80 new posts trying to teach us all how to write a resume.

The site was having issues back when the owner of the server changed hands.  It was originally owned by Yahoo in the beginning and had nice fast access speed and no issues.  Yahoo split into Yahoo Small Business and then split again into Abbaco Small Business and that was when things went to pot.  They slowly built their service back up and seems to run much better now.  There are still occasional odd issues that pop up, but i think the actual forum software could use updating again.

duffy

Ok, yeh, You sparked my memory on that. I've seen those jokers on other forums that sign up, ask a couple of stupid (and I mean really stupid) questions and then there's a bunch of crap that their trying to sell or odd links that redirect to their site. So their getting or trying to get a free advertisement ride I guess?
Hopefully you can keep going Russ and anyone else for that matter. Our illustrious (not) governor just added a couple of more weeks to the lockdown so people are pretty pissed about that. Restaurants are closing but the gov is more worried about sports than peoples lively hoods. Our little town is still plugging along and everybody is helping out as much as they can and we're just laying low waiting for the dust to settle.

JUNGLEJIM1

It is very disappointing to hear the site is going away after over ten years. I've been around since the start and noticed the drop off over the last couple of years. I still tie almost every day and have come up with some new stuff that has worked pretty well the past year but haven't posted pics lately because of the lack of feedback when I did. I would certainly become a sponsor to keep the site going.. I would start posting pictures again as well to see if we can't turn this around. Russ, I don't know if it's possible but would like to get some JigCraft tee shirts and hats. I wear mine all the time but they are starting to wear out from all the wear and tear. Let me know if I can order some. I really, really don't want to see JigCraft go away.

duffy

I for one have always enjoyed your creations JJ even though I may have not commented on all of them. Would also buy a hat if that was possible. Didn't know either if any were available.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
It is good to see there are still some people around and there are a few who have reached out to me about wanting to sponsor or help pay for the site. The last 3 or 4 years i have paid for it out of pocket with no real income actually coming from the site. I don't mind at least keeping it up and operational but in the long run that yearly cost adds up.

For those who have showed interest in donating to keep the site rolling..... could we run this like Public Radio and Public TV does? Simply ask for donations until we hit the $150 mark and then no other funding needed for a year? Splitting it between a couple members would make it a lot smaller of an amount. I've always tried to be out in the open with everyone here so this would be fine by me. If this OK by others, you can post your "pledge" amount and we can keep a running total. Donations can go to PayPal through [email protected] or i can PM my actual mailing address if you prefer.

I could probably do a small run of shirts again, just wouldn't want to get too complicated with it. Offer a couple colors in just basic styles. For baseball style hats, i would have to order a quantity of 12 to be able to do it. I can do winter knit stocking caps pretty easily though. I have the embroidery file here in my shop and can do those 1 by 1 if needed. Send me a PM if anyone is interested.

duffy

AtticaFish said:
Possible pic's of the knit hat or designs. If I sent you a shirt could you imprint it? I've been to sites that have a running quarterly total of donations with the goal listed at the top. Also includes a link to make donations. Just a thought.

Kdog

Hate to see it all go away. Ill miss the stories, the creations and a lot of the discussions.

RockGeo

To All the JigCraft Contributors,

Thank you!  Thank you Attica for the site, thank you members for the wonderful photos, the stories and the discussions that you post.  I have been a "creeper" on this site for several years and have learned an incredible amount on how to tie jigs of all sorts and varieties.  The use of various materials such as artic fox, craft fur, flash, various feathers and zonkers have been so interesting and fun for me to incorporate in my tying.  I have never heard of a jig tying club and this site has been that to me.  Your creations have inspired me and taken my work to much higher levels.  Jungle Jim has boggled my mind with his creative ability, Hawnjigs has amazed me with his knowledge of all things jigs and more, Kdog and LedHed creations and stories keep me coming back.  Attica's ice jigs enthrall me.   It is a pleasure to see your work and hear your stories.  Please keep it up!

Even though I am humbled by the quality of the jigs posted here, I will start posting some of my creations here now.   To all you other "creepers" out there, I encourage you to also post your work and share your stories.

Lastly, thank you for keeping this site alive.  It has been a valuable reference tool for me as well.  The archives have been a blast to go through.

RockGeo

Hawnjigs

KISS
Looking forward to your creations posts RG. The warm water season is almost starting, maybe a week out here from some walleye activity. Then, on to wipers, smallies, and catfish all on jigs of course.

Lets hear the stories, hopefully I'll have some to share.

Microbaits

Well I'm on the site,on and off looking for news and learning from a few. I believe that politics is almost unavoidable at times. There are sites that unknowingly us their status of knowing a moderator or two,and create a following of like minded people (woke) to put it politely.
Bullies to be correct. I'm not sure why there aren't many members here,but it is sites like these that are important for the dyi community.
I'm not sure where the site is going, but I would like to believe it will not go away anytime soon.

Back