Universal 2 vise

Jay Wirth

Nice vise, I love the Universal II. I have around 8 and many spare parts. One has a second spring stop on the top so I can lock the shaft at the 1/4 turn. My main vise is still going strong after 30+ years - Ive been using it so long the black texturing on the to where my left hand would rest (when holding hair) is worn smooth.

LedHed

Sponsor
Very cool vise - have a few more also. There is a choice one up for bid on ebay right now. Clean box with the bonus materials.

Jay - haven't seen the 1/4 adjust - now I have to go look. The Price Sr. has that function - that is a super sweet vise. If I didn't like the Regals so much I'd be using the Price. What made you want to use this vise and why no change?

Jay Wirth

My father was a sales rep for Universal, he had explained to me that the 1/4 turn adjust was a prototype that never made it into production. I have never seen another.

I have tried many vice through the years but always return to my Universal. The Universal II was the vise I learned on and when they are tuned up (polished inside and rubber O ring installed) are perfect for me. I also think the horizontal jaws are superior for tying bucktail jigs as the angle of the jaws has an effect on your thread tension and alignment. As a manufacturer I tie all year long, and during the spring and summer Im making at least 100 doz a month. As I posted earlier 30+ years and the vice is still working great, My father was a long time tier and his universal was much older than mine. Every once in a while Ill take his out and tie a few jigs.

One thing about these vice is that they require a little polishing internally. Sometimes I swap older parts and find there has been many different sizes of jaws and washers, so I keep swapping out till I find a good fit. My personal vice has a little play when locked. This is remedied with a small square if masking tape on the shaft as a shim and a rubber O ring in place of the thin washer around the shank of the jaws. Every year or so I take the vice apart add a new piece of tape and a few drops of oil and Im good for another 1000 doz jigs.

Jay Wirth

Tighten or loosen the large wheel on the left tightens or releases the jaws. On my vice I put a small rubber O ring on the jaw shank up against the black edge. The O ring adds just a little pressure for the jaws to open with the smallest turn of the wheel.

Jay Wirth

Here are some picts of the Universal II w/the 1/4 adjust. It has been used quite a lot back in the day.

Attachments

• nov29 048 (800x450).jpg
    nov29 048 (800x450).jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 56
  • nov29 049 (800x450).jpg
    nov29 049 (800x450).jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 56
  • nov29 055 (800x450).jpg
    nov29 055 (800x450).jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 57

Jay Wirth

Jay Wirth said:
Nice vise, I love the Universal II. I have around 8 and many spare parts. One has a second spring stop on the top so I can lock the shaft at the 1/4 turn. My main vise is still going strong after 30+ years - Ive been using it so long the black texturing on the to where my left hand would rest (when holding hair) is worn smooth.

The old work horse still going strong.

View attachment 1

Attachments

• nov29 052 (800x450).jpg
    nov29 052 (800x450).jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 52

LedHed

Sponsor
Kdog - For boys with all the toys. That vise is precision made - tight tolerances - high grade stainless steel - and I want one LOL. Marc Petitjean makes some awesome accessories also - way outside my budget.

You can really see the worn patina on your vise Jay - especially when you compare it to the first pics! If you ever want to get rid of the 1/4 turn UV2 - please keep me in mind.

Back