Underspin help

luremaker

Tied these up for sale in my retail store.  Red body with green chartreuse tail plastics seem to sell well here so thought I would try this since I had these colors out working on another project.

Other than the crane swivel needing to be up to the front more, what else do I need to do? 

Components:

1/16oz no collar jig with red sickle hook
artic fox tail
red/black chenille
#12 crane swivel
#1 split ring
#00 blades

Is there a chart somewhere that you can use to size the swivels and blades to the size jig?

Comments and critics welcome!

Thanks!

Attachments

• red underspins.jpg
    red underspins.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 110

Kdog

Do it has a chart for their pony head / Horse Head. But, I have had a lot more success with outside the box apporaches. Larger blade, smaller blade, Long shank hook, Larger (longer) swivel  to get blade a bit further away from the head and body so the tied material, plastics, bait etc do not interfere with the blade movement. It takes a lot of trial and error to get the right combo. One of my favorites  is a 1/16 pony headcast with a #12 crane swivel with a #0 blade and a #1 WILLOW LEAF blade tied in a boolie fashion with a I think a #6 plain barrel swivel. White and black buck tail finish it off.

Half the fun of Custom Jigs is mixing and matching outside the box.

From Luremaking 
PONY/HORSE HEAD COMPONENT GUIDE
http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue...e-items/molds/horse_head__pony_head_molds.htm
Lure Size (oz)
1/48
1/32
1/16
1/8
1/4 
3/8
1/2
3/4
1-1/2
Split Ring Size
Colorado Blade Size
Larger blade sizes can add more flash, but may require slower jigging speed for lure stabilization

Jig Man

I don't see anything wrong with what you have. Maybe a little more forward like you said...

luremaker

Just had a friend come back from testing the two above jigs. The Colorado blade spin no matter how slow he went. Willowleaf had to be kept going pretty fast. I like the Colorado blade better anyway for this style jig.

Thanks for the chart Kdog! That will come in handy!

duffy

Those look great, I'm waiting for my smaller swivels and blades to show up so I can tie some up too. Ordered some Indiana's to try too.

Fin and Fur

I'm kinda partial to the French blade right now, you can get away with on size larger. Just a matter of getting it away from the body. I've been making little jumper wires, only drawback is they're not all exactly the same, but the bonus is each one acts a little different.

jackie53

Really like the belly spin's outstanding fish catcher.The idea is to get the fish to strike with the flash of the blade,Bite the jig and hopefully bite the hook.With that being said the blade closer to the hook the better the chances the fish will get hooked.Have had a many fish hit the blade and not get hooked.really like them like the red body looks like an injured bait fish.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Since you are trying to catch the average fisherman, colors and eyes on the jighead might be the most important. Those more experienced and wary fisherman are going to be the particular ones that might refuse your offering because it has a willow blade instead of colorado or whatever. OK, think i am out of puns. :D I do get picky about the blades..... don't really like willows for much of anything except ice spoons. Hooks too, i know others love them but i won't buy any of those red hooks. I am admittedly over picky.

As for the tie, looks good to me! I might run the swivel all the way up to the head as mentioned above. Maybe throw a strand or 2 of flash in the tail. Am sure it would fish great as is though.

Back