Twister tail hair jigs

Stevej

There is a thread going on over in crappie .com about long lining and the jig most often mentioned is twister tails. So I was wondering if any of you made one that looked similar to a plastic twister tail? Scott is down with a little infection and needs something to take his mind off the discomfort so got any ideas for him to tie. I'm sure he will chime in after his nap. Keep him in your prayers please.

ScottV

I ain't dead yet. I'll be better in a couple of days. I'm gonna have to get a soft pillow to sit on at my tying bench. I'd bet a rabbit zonker jig is what you'd need.

StumpHunter

Scott, hope you get better soon. Those crappie are waiting on you and it sounds like Steve is ready to go fishing LOL.. Get well soon.

ScottV

StumpHunter said:
Scott, hope you get better soon. Those crappie are waiting on you and it sounds like Steve is ready to go fishing LOL.. Get well soon.

Thanks Ronnie, the antibiotics the Doc prescribed me yesterday are kicking in. Feeling better already. We're planning on going Friday.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I would have to suggest something with a long zonker tail, you will get a lot of action out of it on just a steady forward movement I have long lined/trolled some zonker jigs this year... the catfish love them, but haven't had a lot of success with the crappies yet. But that may just be my waters, haven't pulled many crappie this year at all compared to last. :-/

Let us know your resluts either way! :)

StumpHunter

Thanks for the info AtticaFish, thats a lot of help.
This is the way I'm going to try the hand tied jigs. The spring (mid Feb-mid March) a 1/8 roadrunner with a 2 1/2'' jig caught my best fish so I'm going to try some zonker jigs for the action. As the water warmed and the spawn started an 1 1/2'' to 2'' curty tail with a 1/16 jig head worked the best so I'm going to try feather jigs for their action. As the spawn ended a jig with less action like a baby shad worked with a 1/32 jig head so for this I am going to try a hair jig. This will be just my test to see what hand tied jig works for longlining. I may never find anything to replace the way plastic bodys work for longlining but I'm going to try. I have many plastic baits so it would take a few years to use em up but it sure is fun catching fish on a jig you tied yourself.
I will let you know what is working here in SC and maybe it will work on your waters too.

Back