Tube Fly

Len

My first attempt at a tube fly with crappie in mind.I like the idea of be able to change hook size on when needed.

TubeFly.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I do like the looks of those! I may end up breaking down and trying to make some of them myself. Have to 'engineer' a way to hold the tubes my self though... wife wouldn't be happy with me if i asked for the CC to get some new toys. :rolleyes:

OT: What weight flyrod do you have Len? I only have one that is a 5 wt. and always thought it was over kill for the bluegill and crappie - but sure is fun!!!

papaperch

Russ - if you have a 5wt. that feels heavy I would guess that it is an older fiberglass rod. A modern 5wt that is made with graphite should feel like a wand. A 7 wt is kind of like the do all too light for real heavy applications and too heavy for flinging at panfish and stream trout.

Here is a rough guide local conditions may affect choice

9wt and above big fish salmon , bass , saltwater
8wt bass and pike
7wt kinda like a medium spinning rod rating
6wt kinda like a medium light spinning rod rating
5 wt kinda like a light spinning rod rating
4 wt kinda like a ultralite spinning rod
3 wt suitable for small stream trout
1 AND 2 wt rods usually less than 7 foot in length and you better be real good to cast one of these babies
0 wt Supposed to exist but I never seen one. Would love to get a blank and make a super ultra light spinning rod.

Len

AtticaFish said:
I do like the looks of those! I may end up breaking down and trying to make some of them myself. Have to 'engineer' a way to hold the tubes my self though... wife wouldn't be happy with me if i asked for the CC to get some new toys. :rolleyes:

OT: What weight flyrod do you have Len? I only have one that is a 5 wt. and always thought it was over kill for the bluegill and crappie - but sure is fun!!!

Attica,
I don't have a fly rod I just use the 7ft. HT Micromaster Ultralight Rods.These rods are super light and do the job with small spinnig reel and 2lb. test line.
http://www.miklurchtackle.com/index.php?productID=702

quivira kid

Those will do the job!
I use a 3-wt all the time for bluegills and crappie. It's my favorite! 5-weight is nice for heavier flies and lifting fish out of cover.

Len

Go to color in one of the lakes I fish is Fl. Chart./Yellow/and White so I thought this would be a interesting crappie tube fly to try this spring.

TubeFly001.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Cool - I watched a guy throwing a crazy tiny spinner at a small lake for some stocker trout using a super light weight (and long) rod that had a spinning reel. He could cast very well with the wind at his back! Got me looking up having a custom fly rod made to mount a spinning reel.... someday!!!!!!!!!!

The yellow tube looks sweet! Meant to mention before... love the chenille on the pink tailed tube in the 1st pic. The pearl cactus blended with just about any color sure does look nice.

Len said:
Attica,
I don't have a fly rod I just use the 7ft. HT Micromaster Ultralight Rods.These rods are super light and do the job with small spinnig reel and 2lb. test line.
http://www.miklurchtackle.com/index.php?productID=702

jjsjigs

Banned
Sure that rod wasn't a centerpinner rod that the guy was throwing a tiny spinner? I've seen the pinner guys convert that huge steelhead reel to a small spin reel during the summer (for panfish). Then when fall and the steel hit the tribs the centerpin comes back on the rod.

jjsjigs

Banned
Also, if anyone would like to tie tubes without spending the $$ to get the kit to mount the tube to the vice, etc, etc, etc.

I have a solution. I've been tying tube flies for years without the "specialized gear". First I take a Q-tip (the plastic shanked type) and cut the cotton off the ends. Then I put a #2 streamer hook into the vice and cut the eye off the hook. THen slide the plastic shank onto the streamer hookshank. Now take a pair of hemostats or English hackle pliers and hold the plastic q-tip tube onto the streamer hook shank. Now you may tie on the tube without it spinning around. Welcome to the "cheap and easy" way to tie tube flies.

Back