Truely Old School?

flytackle

Folks I collect old vises and have been really enjoying all the threads here. That "hammered" finish is original, as offered by Regal early on. The same vise has also been offered in an all black and a gold finish. They are great vises. Alec

waynesburgjay

I use a Regal I bought back in the early 90's, it's basically the same except the finish is smooth on mine, not quite sure of this but I think the jaws have a lifetime guarantee. Mine have a little notch in the jaws that holds bigger hooks, works great for jigs too I tied a bunch of 1/4 oz. bucktails this morning and it holds the 1/0 hooks good and the size 24.

Pup

Thanks for your comments Guys. :)

This is a pretty old vise. Found a sticky spot on the jaws where a label was placed. It likely contained info about patents applied for and had peeled off. Several eBay photos of older Regal vise jaws displayed this label. My vise has jaws that are characteristically grooved and pointy like a Regal. That's how I finally convinced myself it was, indeed, a Regal.

It will travel to a class with me next weekend. I like it for traveling. It's one sturdy son-of-a-gun.

Do wish it had 360 degree rotation. Originally, I wanted to buy a spring material holder and the parts necessary to convert it to full rotation if possible. Tough to do when the manufacturer doesn't respond. As is, it has about 270 degrees worth and I seem to be OK with that.

LedHed

Sponsor
I read a post on ebay (should have copied it) that stated Regal had left some vises with a machinist to do the finish but never picked them up. So the guy started selling them to re-coup his money. I think that's why you don't see very many. The post I saw was for the standard vise (no rotation) with the same finish.

Pup - Regal changed hands twice - now the original manufacturer is back in the saddle. Might try to contact them again....

Pup

LedHed said:
Pup - Regal changed hands twice - now the original manufacturer is back in the saddle. Might try to contact them again....

Thanks for the info LedHed. :cool: It's worth trying again. Though I can work with the vise as is, it would be cool to modify it a bit more to my liking.

Back