Truely Old School?

Pup

Not sure if these are truely old school or not. They sure look old to me.

oldschool002.jpg

The vise is a Regal. I think so because it says "REGAL" on the screw knob that adjusts the shaft for jaw height. There is no other identification on the vise. Its jaws are spring loaded. They open by squeezing the head and lever assembly and hold a jig very solidly. The vise is painted a mottled black and gold color and has a tiny bit of rust on it. It appears ugly-looking, but it functions very well for holding jig hooks.

The light is called a Flex-Lite and is/was made in Kalamazoo, MI. I look at it and it reminds me of the 1950s sci-fi classic movie "War Of The Worlds".

redman

Think you are right as I have not seen one in years, Yours looks like maybe 1960's or 70's. As I remember the older models didn't have a light attachment. They are a Cracker Jack of a vice and do very well on the smaller hooks. The ones that I remember had a non adjustable head that was set in one position. Still a nice old piece the will do a good job. Was state of the art at the time. As I remember it was a high dollar vice like $15 or $20.

Believe that the it was call a Cam action vise in the day But don't hold me to it. It was years ago and some times my memory isn't all that good.

Redman

toadfrog

Don't worry about your memory redman . Its dead on. As far as the vise being ugly . Beauty is in the eye of the beholder . Case in point . My wife picked me and I showed a lot of wear and tear when we met .

LedHed

Sponsor
I have some Regals and never saw one with the finish like that has. Looks like a custom paint job. Need to see the clamp - there are some good knock offs out there. Top of the stem looks right. It is rotated upside down and I don't think the spring clip is original. Is it for sale or trade?

JUNGLEJIM1

I like it,especially the light. It was made to last. Sonny, you don't have enough vises and this would make a great spare vise. I'd bet he hangs on to it. It's cool !!!!!!!!!!! I'd like to have one like it myself.

LedHed

Sponsor
LOL Jim , you know I can always use another vise. That is a very cool vise. Has a lot of tyes on it -lever has wear.

Pup

It is rotated upside down and I don't think the spring clip is original. Is it for sale or trade?

LedHed,

You are correct. The vice, as pictured, is rotated upside down and the spring clip is a replacement. For the way I tie, I've adjusted the jaws so that they rotate horizontally. I have my regular vise (Griffin 3ARP) set up this way.

It's not for sale or trade currently. I've tied a few jigs on it and would like to use it for a while. Glad that you find it interesting though. I think that it's a pretty cool vice. If/When I decide to sell/trade it you'll be the first to be contacted.

Might take a few more pics at different angles. Course that looks like a Dyna-King in the background

Fatman,

I'll try to get some more pictures up later this weekend.

You are correct. That's a Dyna-King Barracuda in the background.

Thanks for all of your comments Guys. :jig:

redman

Toadfrog LedHed or someone else please correct me if I am wrong. That light was not a Regal accessory with that vice. That light was sold I believe as a universal attachment to any vice. I believe the first ones I saw were offered for sale by ether Dan Bailey, or Kauffman Streamborn. Don't remember which but it had to be in the 1970's. The cable that they are using is a coax cable that was made by Belden and was stiff as heck. It runs in my mind that it is RGX-58U with out the outer cover at least I think that is what we use to call it. It was made for the VHF applications and didn't come out until the early to middle part of the 1970's. As I have said don't hold me to it but it is what I remember.
The other thing is that most of the tiers I knew that had them ( Regal Vices) used them upside down with the cam lever on the top. They seem to operate with greater ease that way.

Just a old timer having some fun reminiscing.

Redman

P.S. Just struck me funny that fly tying and Jig making is the only place that VICES are acceptable. My Bad, a strange sense of Humor.

LedHed

Sponsor
Thnx Pup

rm - pretty sure you are correct about the light. Have my LF's daughter tying with the Regal upside down. Regular way is kind of hard to open for a 10 (soon to be 11) year old girl.

Pup

Thanks Guys. :)

I plan to snap a few photos to send to Regal Engineering. Perhaps with some good detail, they may be able to tell me more about the vise. Will post about it here.

Pup

Two e-mails have been sent to RE with no response. I may have to try a few fly tying sites to find out about this vise's history. Maybe visit Joe's Old Lures web site too. It covers fishing-related items.

Pup

I may try calling them LedHed. Good suggestion. :icon14:

These are the additional photos that I took and e-mailed to Regal Engineering.

regal013.jpg

regal011.jpg

regal010.jpg

regal008.jpg

regal006.jpg

regal001.jpg

regal015.jpg

If anyone has anything else to add about this vise, please do.

Back