trout lures

Hawnjigs

KISS
Sorry EdB, missed this as it was hidden at the bottom of the topics page that I never look at. Quite a variety, do you have any favorites or do they all work? What weights and size hooks are they?

Never fished spinners myself as jigs always seem to produce in my area. Do you like spinners better than jigs?

eddieb

These are some of the first I have made , I like the spinner for trout , bass , panfish ,and have had two catfish on green spinners ,for the trout I have had the most luck on the Black the brown and the yellow ,the white has worked well in lakes for bass and panfish , caught lots of white bass on it , to me the hardest part of making them is painting , one I really like is one that I painted to look the color of the brown trout , these are from 1/32 to 1/16 and 1/4 ounce , I now have a Doit mold to make the bodies ,I made these around two years ago ,as far as jigs for trout , I like the trout magnet with the shad dart jigs , thanks for looking

Hawnjigs

KISS
Does the spinning blade help to resist snags ?

Do the rows of dots on the bodies add to the attraction ?

Have you used spinners to target walleye ?

eddieb

No the blades does not keep me from getting snaged ,I think the flash from blade and the color has a lot to do with fish strikes ,I have a book named Trout Biology by W.B.Willers and it names the colors that gets the most strikes , yellow &black , black , Brown to name a few was high on the list , the light also has a great effect , I have not tried on walleye , but hope too this year , the thing about making jigs and spinners to me is the joy of catching fish on lures that I made ,and thanks to this web site I have got a lot of ideas from you guys ,thanks too all.

Hawnjigs

KISS
No doubt spinners catch lots of trout, and I remember my jigs being spanked by a spinner guys in CO. Thinking the metal flash was necessary, used to fish JiggerJohn's Boolie propeller jigs exclusively with satisfying results compared to the approach of others. When I started fishing a local river for trout the constant broken weed drift made cleaning prop clogs too time consuming, and switching to simple fur ties alone results were satisfying enuf to dispense with propellers. I'll still use Boolies in clean water with minimal chance of prop fouling.

Tie material colors don't seem to matter, and I switch them just for fun & they all get bit. Met an experienced trout jigger Chuck yesterday, and he agrees that maybe just 2 color choices - a light and dark would work in practically all situations. We agree that proper jig movement is more a bite trigger than appearance. He also knows that sometimes bait is the best option, the only trout caught that day was a nice 20" by his bud Tim dunking waxworms.

EasyKasting

I have not tried on walleye
Give it a try on walleye! I'd like to see what you come up with.
Spinners are versatile enough to target many species.

You can go heavier with each component, do you think? Walleye strike and fight hard.

eddieb

sorry it took so long to get back to you but I have been having problems with my PC ,but yes you can make any size you like , I now can build one that is 8 inches long comes in at over 1/2 ounce , soon as my pc gets its brain back I will send some pictures , also I can use wire up to 051, it may work on bass also

eddieb

You can build about any size you like, on the left is a 3 inch that I use for trout and gills , on the left is a 1/2 ounce , I think it will be good for walleye and bass , it is 8 inch and I used a size 051 wireIMAG0001 (6).JPG

Back