trout jigs?

dblevens

Im a crappie fisherman through and through but in about 10 days I've got an opportunity to go trout fishing on the famous Norfork river. Show me some trout lures I can tie for spincasting and tell me how to use em, please.

Doc Crappie

Banned
Check jungle jims micro hard body jig he recently posted about some killer jigs. May be small but do the job well

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

dblevens

Thats a neat article. I gotta match the hatch. Whats a mosquito nymph look like? I'm sure they'll be hatching.

toadfrog

Any fly pattern can be tied behind a jig head . I would take some plastics micro size curl tails . crickets , craws ,shads or twitchy minnows . Maybe some trout worms . Tip every thing with a pinch of worm or squash a cricket or craw rub on the juice . If it is a craw you only need the juice from the head . That is where the best smell comes from .

JUNGLEJIM1

Anything 1/32 and smaller,#6 or smaller in black,brown,olive,white and gray would probably work. Here in Missouri we are going through a dry period and 1/64 on a #10 or #12 jig hook is the only sizes they'll hit. The smaller the better,baits about 3/4 inch long.Hard bodies and tiny buggers are working for me.

quivira kid

Look up a zebra midge.... black, in a size 20, is what we caught them on when I fished the Beaver tailwater here two years ago. PICKY!

dblevens

Well, here's my first ever trout jig. ALL opinions welcome. Its a 1/48 oz thats the smallest jighead I have. Olive hackle and chenille.

Attachments

• 010 (800x737).jpg
    010 (800x737).jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 103

Hawnjigs

KISS
I agree that tiny buggy jigs might more consistently entice trout to bite, but don't be afraid to try heavier jigs when they might be advantageous for longer casting range, deeper sink, or current management. Then again at times large flashy lures like 1/4 oz. Castmasters and in-line spinners may outproduce jigs. Right now my open water strategy is to start with 1/14 oz. #2 hook or 1/20 #6 jigs for maximum search coverage, and downsize to 1/32 #8 if the bigger jigs aren't getting bit. Haven't done much small stream trouting, but would probably go straight to the smallest size that could reach likely holding areas.

Of course, a fly & bubble might be a more efficient spin casting tekneek if the trout are being hatch specific finicky.

Shoemoo

Well, your basic marabou crappie jig is just a wooly bugger on a jig head with no hackle. Tie some up in natural colors, add some grizzly hackle, and you're golden.

Jig Man

Thats a good looking little bugger. Might tye you up a few strike indicators also... You never know!

Back