Tree identification

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
The fruits look like a gum tree........ but the leaf shape is not right for the gum tree i know.

Kdog

I'm going for Chestnut, I have access to a Paw Paw grove and never saw fruits with a prickly husk.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Not PawPaw tree but i plan on starting a few this winter. They like shady areas so should be able to find somewhere around a creek to plant some.

Kdog i will take chestnut as the answer. These are chinese chinquapins. Produce m&m size nuts that are claimed to be the tastiest nut. We'll see. These arent suppose to be producing yet as they are 1 yr old but hey im not complaining!

Kdog

PawPaws are a great treat for me every fall when I can beat the raccoon. oppossum, squirrels and deer to them. Supposedly the leaves are a natural insecticide. Not sure but an old old man from my youth always said you would never get a mosquito bite in a paw paw patch. Our farm had a nice stand of about 1/4 acre and I used to sit back and wait for the squirrels to come in for feeding. Never got a mosquito bite. But as soon as I started walking back to the house I was fair game.

Back