Tournament Trail Feb. 6th

PanfishHunter

We set out of Porter early friday morning to prefish for the SETX HS Tournament taking place the next day. We arrived at Lake Sam Rayburn around 10. It was very chilly, around 33 degrees. We set off and fished mid depth, close to cover. We only caught 2 fish, which we doubled up on. I was throwing a Carolina rigged green pumpkin baby brush hog, my partner, Harlan, a T-rigged trick worm in pumpkin/chart.

We went to the hotel, fished backlashes, put on new line where it was needed, and got ready for the tournament. 

Alarms rang at 5, we woke up and headed to Mills Creek Park, where we sat the rain out until 7:30. We launched, but not before Harlan slipped and busted his rear end on the steep ramp. We fished creeks and backwaters, and I got the first fish, a 2 pound freshwater drum. After that, we moved locations, closer to the boat ramp. It was now around noon. Harlan was throwing a texas rig finesse worm on a 2/0 hook. He was fixing a birds nest, and right after, he lifted his rod, and felt our first keeper fish. It was about a 4 pound LMB, beautiful too. It had Melanosis(spelling?) which is a disease that effects pigmentation, and it had dark black spots all over. we started working the trolling motor towards the ramp, and we started working standing timber. I flipped a texas rigged baby brush hog(green pumpkin, dipped tail in chartreuse) bounced it off a tree and started working it, fairly fast for the cold weather, and WHAM, a nice bass hit! about a two pounder, my first Sam Rayburn keeper. 

We came out at 201 of 473 teams, a 39 place improvement of last time. Next Tournament is March 6th, and hopefully the water will have warmed up by then, and the bass will be in pre spawn hungry behavior.
View attachment 1

Attachments

• Tourney.jpg
    Tourney.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 63
  • doubleup.jpg
    doubleup.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 61

Fin and Fur

Congratulations on moving up in place and rank, keep it up! Good luck next month. Get those finesse jigs out and sore lip'm!

Rabbit strip worm. Palmer strip on shank for larger profile can even two tone tails and bodies. Stinger hooks made from dacron/heavy mono can be helpful for subtle take and runs, I use octopus hooks. I'll send you pics of how to do it if you want.

PanfishHunter

thanks FnF, It'll hopefully warm up by then, so we can throw what we usually throw, but if not, i'll definitely try a finesse jig!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool and way to go. I bet there were a bunch of guys who did not catch any! Dude..................... you are a member of JigCraft! Gotta, no wait, you GONNA HAFTA break out those finesse jigs!!!!!!!! It is a numbers game. Get some of those 15.5" fish first (whats the size limit?) and then go back and upsize once you have a few fish in the well.

PanfishHunter

14 inches in minimum. We were flipping and pitching around brush and timber. I'm more confident using soft plastics over jigs, since i've never actually caught a bass on a jig, but I did throw one of the jigs you sent me for awhile but didn't catch anything but grass, lol! If it decides to warm up before march 6th we'll be able to fishmore of the places that look fishy.

Back