Topcoat Question

ScottV

What's a good way to seal painted eyes on a powder painted jig head? I've used clear nail polish but it will turn brown, especially on a chartreuse head. Lately I've been reheating the head after painting the eyes, then dipping in clear powder paint. After fishing a jig for several hours though, the eyes will sometimes come off. I've been using the acrylic craft paint to paint my eyes, maybe that's my problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

toadfrog

Epoxy top coat 2 prt mix . One thing though any eye will come off if there is no recess . Especially if the eye gets struck dead on by something hard .

Pup

I agree with Toadfrog. Two-part epoxy works best for me. I coat the entire jig head. Makes the finish deep and glossy. Eyes are well protected.

It'll last you a long time too, unless you start pounding rocks or concrete with your jig. I've cast epoxied jigs repeatedly at concrete bridge abutments. They'll crack and scuff. I doubt that fish care though. The finish will, ultimately, wear off if the jig isn't lost to a snag first.

Allow your jigs more curing time than the drying time of nail polish.

For me:
  • Five-Minute Epoxy - Hardest, must brush on quickly rapidly.
  • Thirty-Minute Epoxy - Hard, more time available to brush on (greater working time).
  • One-Hour Epoxy - Least hard, greatest working time.

Jig Man

Hmmm, I haven't had those issues with Sally's... only thing I've seen is working it to much can make the paint run. I usually put a good drop on, then spin it with my vice till the polish sets.

ScottV

I've only had problems with chartreuse heads when using Sally's.
thanks Toadfrog and Pup. I don't think the fish mind either. I've always said that a jig with eyes is for catching fishermen instead of fish.

Fatman

I've been using Duco cement to put my wiggle eyes on and even dropping them they haven't come off YET!!! Haven't gotten to do the water test yet. Havent tried the 3D eyes yet but I'm going to do some with the Duco cement and others with 2 part epoxy mix.

LedHed

Sponsor
I recently got a bunch of the uv nail stuff (clear/glue, lamp station, some different colors). I've been told that the stuff is a lot tougher than FP. Think it's cheaper then the fly tying goo.

I paint the problem colors that run with a thin coat of regular enamel FP then coat with Sally's. It still lifts the paint a little, with the first coat, so you have to clean the tip of the brush. Let the coats dry.

ScottV

I got some of the Devcon 30 minute 2 ton epoxy and tried it like Pup said. It worked great. Problem solved. Thanks

Back