Top water, bottom bashing, fast and slow, jigs do it all

bombora

G'day again. Been away for some time from Jigcraft, its damn fine humans and the fishy-fun, inspiration and shared passion it houses. Work was the initial reason for the absence.
Then, well, no other way to say, but a life changing experience. Resulted in brain surgery a bit over two weeks ago. Then 12 days in intensive care. Close call.
Back home now and am off work for six weeks :p. Hope to be able to do some fishing which isn't too taxing on the body (gotta keep blood pressure down) soon.
Anyway, no moaning. I ain't left this mortal coil so that's a win, and several separate very lucky events put the odds on my side.
So just wanted to put up a post I had been about to submit when stuff happened!
Something I love about jigs is their versatility. This is a little 1/8th ultra minnow head, tied with arctic fox (damn I lurve that fur):
View attachment 3
We were out on the Harbour, late winter.
Gulls were working some surface bait beside the towering cliffs of the Harbour Heads, but dispersed before we could even get a cast in.
View attachment 8
Next stop was among the moored yachts, in a bay just round the corner from the heads. I was flicking the minnow jig down deep, maybe 25 feet, when I felt a little tap. The strike was rewarded with, well, nothing but a bit of weight. Started winding in and really thought I'd just collected some weed. Then a little kick. So then thought I'd hooked a tiddler snapper which had itself been wound through drfiting weed. But no! It was a John Dory!!! Or Saint Peters fish in other countries.
View attachment 4
View attachment 5
That spot on their sides is said to be the finger print of the saint. They hunt by drifting along, incognito, then extending their amazing mouth (I could fit my fist in even this smallish JD's mouth!). Very very very rare lure capture in the harbour (they spend most of their time in open ocean, down deep in hundreds of feet of water and even then rarely take lures).
We then scooted up past the coat hanger (Habour bridge) and found some surface action. The same jig took a nice Australian salmon (not a true salmonid, they are actually a type of perch) when cast to the splashes and greedy gulls and retrieved at speed. Didn't take a pic cause wanted to take advantage of what looked like a brief surface bite. Next cast scored a bluefish (called tailor here). Didn't get bitten off (miracle on 6 pound leader, which was attached to 6 pound braid mainline). Shouldn't have pushed my luck. Next cast, goodbye jig. RIP fella.
So to show you an Aussie salmon, here's my mate Al, fishing guru, with one of the sambos we got from that brief bite. The closeup I think shows how solid and powerful they are: leap like crazy, long powerful runs and lugging finales.
View attachment 6
View attachment 7
Love how one jig can catch slow moving deep water lurkers and fast sprinting top water leaping predators.
And it's good to be back at Jigcraft!!!

Attachments

• redthread.JPG
    redthread.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 203
  • Jigged JD.JPG
    Jigged JD.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 177
  • JigJD close.JPG
    JigJD close.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Al\'s salmon.JPG
    Al\'s salmon.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 176
  • al\'s sambo close.JPG
    al\'s sambo close.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 178
  • seagull cliffs.JPG
    seagull cliffs.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 173

LedHed

Sponsor
Your reports have been missed - good to see you back and up & about. You sound in good spirits. Hard to keep a good jig man down.

Awesome photos as always - thnx for sharing.

Bucho

Beatyful jig and very interesting impressions from yet another part of the world, thanks for that! :icon14:

JSC

Glad to Know You Are OK
Can't keep a Good Man Down ... That "Aussie salmon" built for action .. Looks like in away a relative of Tarpon, Ladyfish, Bone Fish & Jack .. Some kind of mixture.

:)

Jig Man

g'day mate, good to hear from you. sorry for the mishap, but glad you whipped it. and a
another excellent post from down under. beautiful fish and jig. gotta say jig is about all i carry anymore as well. the occasional minnow to go on it maybe but thats about it. Praying for a fast and full recovery...

Hawnjigs

KISS
Um yeah, I was wondering with Summer kicking in Down Under you musta headed for the hills yet hadn't posted another high country steelhead adventure. Or another envious retreat at a coconut beach I never heard of.

Hope the docs left behind a reasonable amount of head cheese...

That JD is crazy looking! Congrats on the catch of a lifetime! Sorry, couldn't resist, but not many can claim brag on one of those.

I agree the sambo looks built for it - speed tapered yellowtail body with a more muscular tail. Is it called "salmon" because its prized for table fare?

Gorgeous baitfish tie - quality hooks down in Oz.

OK, while we're on strange water critters, here's a Hawaii state record. Kahana is one of the local ulua(giant trevally) shoreline masters, otherwise don't think the Hawaii Gamefish Association would have taken his submission seriously.
http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/records_d.cfm?ID=47

bombora

G'day fellas, and thanks. Means a lot from you guys.
Yeah lucky I had a combined neurosurgeon and microsurgeon: makes it easier to work on a pea sized brain: "Nurse; you better go fetch a magnifying glass, this one's gonna be a challenge."
The John Dory taste absolutely sensational. And the salmon; well, they are very lucky they taste like absolute crap. I mean beyond bad. Otherwise they would have been netted to rarity. Instead we can have football field sized schools going berko all over the place. Grow to 6 to 8 pounds here, 10 to 14 pounds in southern Oz.
Problem this year and late last year is really bad drought's back. Low rain records being broken again, damn it. And constant high temperatures. Lots of 100F plus days. Feel so bad for the farmers. We got a couple of years of good rain, then gone again.
For fishoes it means no bait in the harbour, and open ocean, and Keith, hadn't even bothered to head to the mountains for trout in my beloved secret river. Heat plus no water meant most have died. Bushfires in our spring (not even summer!) destroyed 200 homes just near the trout rivers. Ash was falling on my home on the coast.
Then I read of your record freaky cold. Strange planet these days.

hookup

'ow ya goin mate

Crikey, nice post, enjoy the pix, keep 'em comming.

Wish I could give ya a tingle & see if you right

The planet's a mess, but she'll be apples

Cheers.

StumpHunter

Great to hear from you and a totally awesome report and pics. It is good to hear you are back on the water and catching fish. Always enjoy your reports and look forward to the next one :).

Hate to hear of the troubles with the trout streams.

bombora

Hawnjigs said:
Um yeah, I was wondering with Summer kicking in Down Under you musta headed for the hills yet hadn't posted another high country steelhead adventure. Or another envious retreat at a coconut beach I never heard of.

Hope the docs left behind a reasonable amount of head cheese...

That JD is crazy looking! Congrats on the catch of a lifetime! Sorry, couldn't resist, but not many can claim brag on one of those.

I agree the sambo looks built for it - speed tapered yellowtail body with a more muscular tail. Is it called "salmon" because its prized for table fare?

Gorgeous baitfish tie - quality hooks down in Oz.

OK, while we're on strange water critters, here's a Hawaii state record. Kahana is one of the local ulua(giant trevally) shoreline masters, otherwise don't think the Hawaii Gamefish Association would have taken his submission seriously.
http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/records_d.cfm?ID=47

Damn that looks like my MRI scan!

JSC

"salmon; well, they are very lucky they taste like absolute crap. I mean beyond bad"

Back to the same as Tarpon, Lady Fish, Jacks and etc -- all can really fight but never make it to the plate.

bombora

Yep JSC I think it's a modern crucially beneficial evolutionary trait :}. Maybe other fish will evolve to be crap on the plate, ensuring they aren't the victim of poorly managed commercial fishing. So we rec fishoes have em to ourselves.

Hawnjigs

KISS
What is wrong with you Ozzies, naming a crap fish salmon? If I were at a fish buffet, I'd head straight for the orange, unless there were ladyfish cakes.

I think cuz Hawaii is smack center Pacific, we catch a lot of the lazier westward migrating Asian ethnicities, folks known for "(insert nationality) will eat anything". Plus, the indigenous polynesians had the survival incentive to consume, and enjoy, everything that is chewable in the ocean.

Here's an interesting local fish, kole(koh-lay). Smaller than hand size is average, so you need a few to make a meal. Clean like most other fish, leaving skin on. Toss a few into a hot dry pan, and they will start to sizzle. Kole is so fatty that it produces its own cooking oil. When done frying a mess of em, there might be a half inch or more residual oil left in the pan.
http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/records_d.cfm?ID=121

CandiCane

I loved the writing and the pictures. I could hear the Aussie accent as I read it. The John Dory fish is way cool looking! Thanks for sharing.

Best wishes on your road to recovery. I think fishing will help the healing process.

bombora

Lack of imagination by the Poms, the first europeans here, means we have lots of perch, cod, trout etc etc etc. So Aussie salmon are so named coz they thought they were shaped like salmon, despite certainly not tasting like em.
I prefer the Kiwi Maori name for them (only other place where they exist): kahawai _ pronounced Caar-why. Poetic.

Back