Tools and spools storage

Jubs

After getting more and more tools I started to run out of room in the box I was using to store them and I have been drooling over tool caddies online but have been too cheap to buy one. I looking at some the other night online and came across a basic one and figured I would give Home Depot a look for some wood I wouldn't have to cut or do much to it to get it to look half way decent since I am limited on tools and my hand saw cutting skills in a straight line tend to be questionable now-a-days lol. Anyways, after searching all the molding and other milled sections of the store I came across cedar fence posts and these caps for the 4"x4" fence posts and the light came on. Here is what I came up with. All that is left to do is stain them.

This one holds 3 different styles of hackle pliers, head cement bottle, tweezers, bobbin threader, dubbing loop spinner, dubbing brush, 4 different types of scissors, barb clamps, bodkin, and whip finisher.

4510301382_8ac0309c84.jpg

4510302744_1d0d9e2e58.jpg

I added felt to the head cement bottle hole and to the bottom of the caddy.

4510304112_47af5261bc.jpg

4509667065_4894467805.jpg

This is the other one for my bobbins. Right now it only holds 8 but there is room for a couple more if I needed them. (I ordered 2 more bobbins to fill the 2 empty holes in it now) I also added a couple of strips of magnets to hold hooks and finished jigs and hooks.

4509668273_54b1a5f632.jpg

4510305252_67eb01de3b.jpg

Spool storage.

I bought this desk top style spool holder at Walmart in the sewing/craft section and then headed to the hardware section and grabbed some 3M Command picture hanging strips (the ones they advertise you can just pull the strip and they just come right off) which are like velcro on steroids and mounted it to my closet door since I don't have the desk top area to give up and wanted it accessible where I tie. It holds 60 spools and it was around $10. I need to pick up another as I didn't have enough room for all my ultra wire spools.

4509680629_bf06f7ba59.jpg

CK3

Nice work Jubs!! You never have enough room or places for tools and materials. I made something similiar using pieces of 1X2. It holds three scissors, 8 spools of thread with bobbins, two bodkins, head cement, Sally Henson, file, two things I use for legs, an eye cleaner(needle) thread threader, hackle pliers, tweezers, and a lighter! Not as good looking as yours, but it works and helps keep everything together!!

Jubs

Thanks fellas! I went shopping today and ended up getting some more scissors, bead tweezers, and a new hair stacker so now I need to modify them to fit the new tools lol. I bought some stain as well so I will sand them down and modify then stain them and call it good.

Jubs

Yeah the Dr. Slick ones I just got are self closing and hold tension on their own and they are kind of triangle shaped for the head and on the inside of the head they have a dimple/shallow cup for the bead to lock into so it doesn't slip out easy.

Jubs

I wasn't sure if they would or not but I assumed that they did so I checked lol. Yes they do very nicely! It was much easier after pinching down the barb with a tiny bead. I just put a few 5/64" beads on a few #18 Scud hooks. Yeah I like nymph and other wet fly patterns more than anything. I have a couple of dries I have tied but the majority of them involve foam and only a few I have tied are "Catskill" traditional dries but they were mostly for my tying class I took.

I got to spend the day out of town and about 4 hours total looking at fishing supplies and got some nice feathers and chenilles. I also bought some spinning deer hair to start tying up some bass bugs.

Jubs

I just finished it up a couple weeks ago actually. It was a 10 week class once a week so 10 sessions. It was great actually I learned a few tips on material handling and different things to look for in materials as well, but the main thing I learned was proportions! We used Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying book for the class which has some great patterns and a TON of information in it on just about anything fly tying related and great pictures as well. Great tips and tricks as well and everything is really easy to follow and through. I actually took it to encourage my fishing partner to get interested in tying flies and learn more techniques for tying jigs as he is my girl friend's Dad and we got him a tying kit for Christmas cause he kept seeing me tying and whatnot I showed him the basics and got him started but neither of us had the time to sit down that often to tie together so I knew the class was coming up so I suggested it and he was interested so we signed up.

I ended up learning a lot more than I thought I would and I even won some fly tying contests placed 2nd in the first one I entered (RS2 pattern) and I think the reason I got that was because I changed the pattern to my liking and the winner did the classic pattern but oh well its all good everyone that entered did great and on the second one entered I took first place in the second and final one I entered (Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear) so I was pretty happy accomplishing that. The instructors for the class had seminars at the Sportsman Show and one of the patterns one of them tied up was a crawfish pattern he came up with and after telling them I tied jigs and just got blank stares as if I just spoke a foreign language to them I gave up trying to explain it to them so the next meeting I just brought them a Jubs Craw and the one that has the craw pattern fly was really impressed and really started hanging around our table chatting with me after that so I was honored to get that reaction and the compliments from him on it. The other instructor was gone when I brought the jigs in so I gave it to the one and I am not sure if he got the jig or not lol most likely kept it for himself cause I never heard anything about it and I never got a chance to ask him if he got as it always slipped my mind.

Sorry for the book I just wrote but to sum it up yes it was a great learning experience and I am hoping to return next year to give them a hand with the new "students".

Jubs

Yeah this class was actually about a 75 mile round trip class but it was donation based and not an upfront cost like the local shop has which was I think $130 for I think 5 or 6 sessions (which technically now that I think about it would have actually saved me money in gas but oh well lol). I spend enough money with them as it is lol. They have a point thing there and once you get 1500 I think it is, you get a free guided trip so I tend to spend the majority of my in person supply money there. I got a bit shafted though as they kept giving my points to someone else since his last name was really close to mine and his first name is Jason and mine is Justin, oh well I will get a free trip one of these days!

Back