To brush guard or not to brush guard....

Uncle Grump

I've got one of Do-it's brush guard ball head molds on my acquisition list. Seems like a reasonable thing to pick up....or is it?

This weekend, I was cleaning the basement, and stumbled upon the hand out I was given in a Crappie fishing class put on by Community Ed (local school district).

When I was getting re-acquainted with the document, I found that the presenter stated that he felt that brush guard jigs were useless, as he said that
the crappies didn't have the strength in their mouths to over come the resistance of the guard - hence missed strikes. He indicated that he broke off his jigs and tied on a new one.

Most the brush piles I fish are fairly shallow, and I usually get my jigs free when I hang up by using the rod tip to push the jig off the snag. 

So - can I see a show of hands - do you use brush guards, and if not, why?

Missed strikes?

Other comments?

Thanks

UG

bucktail

I fish many places with stumps or downed trees ,lily pads and reeds for panfish...and I have never used a weed guard in my life....have I lost a lot of jigs?of coarse I have...but to put in the extra for weed guard..I would rather just make 10 more jigs..also over the yrs I have turned to using some plastics and notice rigging them right on a jig head can easily make it weedless ...to each their own

Hawnjigs

KISS
I consider brush guards a hookset impediment and never use em. If I decide to target largies in cover would prefer T-rigging. I would guess that the amount of hookset force required to deflect the guard away from the hook point could tear a crappie's lips.

z520tom

I use the fiber brush guards on the round head and on the horse head molds in 1/16 oz and 1/8 oz whenever i am using a horizontal (casting) retrieve over and in submerged brush. I remove all but 6 bristles with a fingernail clipper. The 6 remaining bristles will allow my jigs to come through brush using a slow but steady retrieve and it sticks most fish that hit it. i lose very few and they give me the confidence to fish them through deep brush piles.

Jig Man

I do occasionally, but I tye my own. I use 30lb mono tyed on the shank of the hook and form a loop pointing forward of the jig head that is then folded back and hooked behind the barb.

AllenOK

I was just going to ask if anyone did that, Jig Man!

I haven't done that with my jigs, bug I have done it with a few deer hair bass bugs.

Kdog

Since I fish a lot of rocks, I tried brush guards and they dont help on rocks. As far as stumps and stick ups, maybe they helpp, but its faster to just break off and retie IMO.. The time it takes and the cost of the brush guard make me wonder if they are worth using.

I gave my mold away so no longer even think about it. I will tie some heavier bodied jigs on occasion if I want a little protection

Uncle Grump

Thanks for the responses guys - this is the kind of info I was looking for.

Jigman - I like your 30# mono idea. Going to have to try that.

UG

Jig Man

I didn't tye this jig, but this is the finished product, and Dutch did a great job and they do work....

and with the mono in place...

View attachment 1

Attachments

• IMG_0230 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0230 (640x480).jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0231 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0231 (640x480).jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 17
Back