tipping jigs

JSC

The Flounder in this are will hit a jig (hair or plastic tail ) about as well untipped ... though some do it .. A strip of cut bait is prefered stays on the hook better ..
Generaly a Flounder is flat on the bottom waiting for some thing to come by and if it gets in range they will attack

Jig Man

Bucho said:
I´m still having some real-life issues on this topic here at the moment. I´m about to come up with the first true lure for the small-mouthed, invertebrate-feeding european flat fish we have. The only confirmed case of this jig outfishing bait comes from a guy who admits adding "just a snip" of worm to the tip for scent....

Problem with the flounder bait is not the purism among anglers but the availability. Lug- and sandworm are expensive, hard to come by and won´t last more than a weekend. A reliable lure or at least a lure/canned scent combination would be a real gamechanger.

19828850gb.jpg

Gulp is used here in the states regularly. Again the argument of tipping a hair jig. But it does help with the bite/catch/ratio due to the way they feed. And the gulp is a very tough bait. Also, our flatties have a large mouth full of teeth. Pro Cure is another additive they seem to like. You might check Ebay and see what shipping would be... JAT

Bucho

Here we have 3 species of small mouthed flatfish: plaice, dab and flounder that feed on mussel, shrimp and worm, maybe a little fry. A panfishh version of a louisiana flounder if you will. I´d go after them with panfish jigs if it weren´t for the deep water, wind and current. There is a big-mouthed sandeel-feeding species, too, the turbot, which is badly overfished, quite rare and not a stable catch.

The jig on the pic is an USD version of the wobble jig, resembling a small flounder eating a worm. It works a charm with bait, but the unscented hair version will only be hit once and the small mouthed fish won´t always stick.

That pro cure looks nice but seems to be oil based? don´t want the hair to stick. We have Gulp alive spray-on scent and trout baits in the shops, will give them a shot.

huttaroo

Have you seen the sand worm flies?
I'm sure you could adapt them to a jig.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

huttaroo

Well there you go. The ragworm fly is a handful to tie. And if it isn't working, your other words say it all:
"Simple, much faster to tie."
Maybe you don't need to mess with a good thing.

There are worm flies intended for large mouth bass, however, that use only the forward hook - bass go for the head, too.
These usually use estaz chenille, twisted to form a rope body. You could incorporate a weed guard, certainly.
Here are a couple styles:

- http://laflyfish.com/flies/sqwirm-worm.php

- http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/video-how-to-tie-a-cinder-worm/

- http://globalflyfisher.com/video/bass-worm

A jig platform should give you another option with these.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

OptiMystic

New guy mostly browsing, but wanted to offer up another thought. Gulp makes a nightcrawler version that I have used. Cut off a small segment and then slice it lengthwise "corner to corner" to make 2 small tapered tails. Hook the thick part. One package lasts quite a while used this way. I agree with the earlier poster about not crediting the jig much for the catch. When it is slow, it does make a difference.

Back