Tinsel spools and curling

crappiecripplerjigs

I have several spools of medium and small holographic tinsel. I've noticed recently when cutting 1" pieces or pulling off of the spool, this stuff is curling up. Any remedies for this? Am I just crazy? :D Trying to finish swap jigs and having trouble with the curlies!

Jiggin Joe

maybe pull a long strand out and use the blade of a scissor to curl opposite way kinda like xmas ribbon? might work.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
No - You not crazy because i get the same thing. Tried the technique jiggin joe mentioned and did not have good result... it curled ALOT worse back the other way!!! :mad: It was all about finding just the right amount of pressure on it and i just couldn't do it.

Not sure if yours is the same as mine, but the best solution i have found is to take a long (2' or so) piece off the spool and actually stretch it. Just grab each end and pull, gentley. If you pull too much, it thins out the tinsel. Once i get a decent straight piece, i cut a bunch of pieces to the size i want.

If it's not the same as mine... i'd say to try jiggin joe's method. :D :p

Pup

If the tinsel is made of a vinyl film, you might try pulling a small amount through a pinched rubber band. Be careful to observe if any coating is being removed. If so, then stop and choose another method. If not, you could continue on and be good to go.

This is an old fly fisherman's trick for straightening monofilament leaders.

chill49

I am new here but thought this might help tried the scissor thing and didn't work. You might think I am crazy already but my wife was watching me try that and she said I have a small travel curling iron you want to try it. I tried it and it works comes out striaght every time

Jiggin Joe

well that was my next guess lol:) i use a straightner on my kiptail hair for the ends ijust thought it would melt tinsel

ragged edge

I went into a store the other day looking at nail polish brands and this teenage girl comes up to me and asks if she can help. Told her I was looking for SH in black and she tells me if I am a little to old for that sort of thing. Told her it was not for me:mad:

Back