Tiger Musky

ragged edge

Since moving here from infested crappie in Texas...lol.. I attempted to catch my first tiger musky and succeeded, although, the fish was 4" short of 40" limit, he was a trophy to me. Caught on a 1/16 black head with red feather and silver flash.
MyFirstTigerMusky.jpg

ragged edge

Thanks Heath. The brothers told me that I did not know how to fish for tigers which was true! But
I told them that I could catch one jigging.........Funny, this is the only fish caught.........lol

ragged edge

Roger, this is Bluewater Lake near Grants, NM. I'm told they put these hybrid musky in this lake and Quemado Lake to control the gold fish. The limit is one and they ask that you release the fish. I believe the state record is 46" and 31lbs. Not sure, as the record has been broken several times this year.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
That is a heck of a fish! :bigfish: That would be a trophy by my standards also.

Edit - hope you don't mind, but i moved this up to the muskie/pike board.

Fatman

Great fish!!!!!!!!! we don't have the tigers in Lake Champlain but I caught one 14lbs. Biggest so far here is 38 lbs 3.5 oz. I'd love to catch one of those hugh Muskies they show on In-fisherman!!! Biggest worry on them is watch the teeth and those gill plates they will slice you good.

ragged edge

Fatman, to late! I learn't the hard way.....Took me about 5 minutes to get him in on my 11' crappie pole. What a thrill........thought I had caught Cecil ther Sea Serpent.......lol

SaltyBuckster

Great fish.They put some Tigers in the lake here that is full of stunted crappie and bluegills.I can't wait to hook into one with the ultralight stuff.Great job.

redman

Nice Tiger you beat my biggest tiger musky. I Have caught bigger musky but the Hybrid musky is a different fish. It doesn't surprised me that the record has been broken a few times in the course of a year. The next record might be a while after last big one is caught. Congrads.

Bruce have fun with them Tigers. Wish that we had them in Caddo lake it would give me a taste of the north country back home. Lucky I have a load of White and Black Crappie to keep me very busy and take my mind off those lunkers.

Redman

Pup

That is one heckuva fish. Used to stock Tiger muskies in IN, but stopped doing so many years ago.

How cool to catch it on a jig. :t-up: Did you tie it? Even cooler if so! :cool:

ragged edge

Thanks all and yes I tie my own jigs. I would post the pic of jig that caught the fish but I lost it in the rocks......sigh...... Fishing for crappie in Texas was all jigging from a boat so when I moved over here I stuck with what I know. I out fished the brothers and nephews when I moved here and now they jig fish. The locals always ask what bait we are using and why such long poles......lol.... Any rate I was using a 1/16 minnow head #4 sickle with black/ silver flaked head, wild apple chennile, red hackle with 6 strands of silver flash.

Thanks again.....

smalljaw

That is a nice one, really great body markings! I'm not so sure that is a tiger, it looks to be a regular musky. The reason I say that is your fish has spots along with some stripes but take a look at the tiger in my picture, it is mostly stripes but either way it is a nice fish and a good size.

DSCF0702.jpg

ragged edge

Smalljaw, do you think that it could be the water conditions over here that make a difference in the pattern. Looked at the state fish proclamation and they do not have regular musky stocked anywhere in the state.

smalljaw

ragged edge said:
Smalljaw, do you think that it could be the water conditions over here that make a difference in the pattern. Looked at the state fish proclamation and they do not have regular musky stocked anywhere in the state.

I don't think, tigers are usually raised to a certain size and let loose, the fish I caught was in waters in which there are regular muskies but the tigers were introduced to keep the real muskies numbers in check. The pattern on your fish really looks like a natural musky, I've caught my share and one thing is they always have spots but some have light bars. I checked the pic of your fish against what we have here in PA and it is indeed a tiger, they differ depending on how they are bread, in the case of your fish the pattern is musky dominant but the bars still go into the spots, on regualar muskies, the spots and bars, if any, are seperate. But yours is the nices tiger I eever saw and to catch it on a jig is awesome, I only caught them on fast moving baits.

ragged edge

Thanks smalljaw! What I noticed, is that these fish chase bait fish at a 45 degree angle on their side with their head out of water. Same there? It took me about 5 minutes to get him in as I was using only 4lb line and no leader. Never had a need for steel leader or heavier line fishing for crapie.

Back