Thurs-Fri-Sat

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Spent Thursday evening at the new reservoir just outside of town. Only managed a 11.5" crappie and three 8" bluegill (target species for the evening) but had this slob hit a little 1/24 jig pegged a few feet below a float. Put up a battle on the light rod and line. Measured just a hair over 18"!!!

View attachment 7

Friday was a GORGEOUS day. Got up over 70° with sunny skies and dead calm wind. Stuck at work all day of course but snuck out for a short trip in the evening again. Fish everywhere (bugs too) but nothing wanted to play. Guessing they all gorged themselves on the new bug hatches.

-- zero fish, zero pics --

Saturday got out to New Washington reservoir and found a few. Think these are black crappie. 6 spines? If they are black, i believe they are the only ones i have ever caught. Big fish went 13" and the others were 9". Beautiful day but the wind sure cranked up. Chart/black kip tail on 1/24 head was the winning jig.

View attachment 8

Already had gotten fish out from the freezer in the morning...... i know better than to depend on catching enough to feed the whole family in one outing. ;) Walleye and yellow perch from Erie.

View attachment 9

Fun couple of days. Even got some of my honey-do list done in between trips so EVERYONE is happy. We will see what tomorrow brings!

Attachments

• 100_8852_e.jpg
    100_8852_e.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_8854_e.jpg
    100_8854_e.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_8861_e.jpg
    100_8861_e.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_8874_e.jpg
    100_8874_e.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 74

fishmilwaukee

AtticaFish said:
Think these are black crappie. 6 spines? If they are black, i believe they are the only ones i have ever caught.

Easy way to tell a black from a white crappie: the distance from the eye to the leading edge of the dorsal fin, will be the same distance as an imaginary line drawn between the beginning and end of the dorsal fin on a black crappie.

On a white the distance from eye to fin will be greater than the length of the fin. Then of course there are sometimes hybrids in waters where both sub-species are common which throws the above method out the window. :)

Jig Man

Yep, they be blacks and nice ones at that. And a nice ditch pickle. They eat good too. Love the hat!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Back out again on Sunday..... I do love my wife! She puts up with a lot. haha.

Made it up to the new reservoir again today for a few hours. Wind was whipping out of the East when i started, but shifted to the South and a light rain started. Fish must have moved into my area with the wind change. Filleted them in the rain, 10 more bluegill to add to the freezer. :icon14:

View attachment 8

Attachments

• 100_8883_e.jpg
    100_8883_e.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 38

hookup

Nice job Attica

Haven't tried that beer yet though. Have two Dueval 22 oz to make it through now

Back