Three custom molds and heads

redman

Jim Stone made two other molds for others private individuals that I know of . The one that was made for Roger Stewart was converted in the late 1991 or 1992 to O'Shaughnessy hook. I helped with that mold I had the blank and repressed the mold for him. At the time I had 4,000 hooks and thought that I would never run out and that they would keep making them for ever in 2004 I bought 300 from Cabela's because I was low. I sold a bunch of jig in 2005 and then moved down here and decide to basically retire the mold. In 2007 when I started to fish Crappie I brought out my old smaller molds and Aberdeen hooks fit well.It wasn't until about two years ago that I started to use sickles and had to modify the molds to take them.

Fatman I am not even wanting to pour any more of that head. I would have to hand bend the hooks and that is a pain where pills can't reach. I have no use for this size of head fishing crappie. Not only that but I don't want to modify this mold in any way. One day it will end up in the Iowa Great Lakes Maritime Museum at Arnolds Park, Iowa. Along with many other Antique and historical Items that I have collected over the many year that I lived in that area. here is a link to them. I have already donated many items to them. http://www.okobojimuseum.org/museum.htm

Redman

redman

I have to High Jack my own thread. There is a You Tube video and at 1:02 I am sure that my old Hafer row boat is on it. It wasn't in the museum when I left the area. They have stuck a motor on it but when I had it, it was just a row boat. Lols Some one put a lot of time to bring to old girl in to fine shape. Had to get rid of her when I got my divorce. But glad to see that she is alive and well and living a comfortable life in a museum for all to enjoy.

This weekend was a grand trip down memory lane. It has gotten very emotional at times. Made me remember many things I haven't thought of in a long time. I feel like a young man at least for a day or so. Young and full of vim and vigor,Pi$$ and Vinegar. Dang to be young again.

Redman

toadfrog

I'll have to go check the mold no . Its a Palmer H-1 something I forget. Suffering from CRS . See if I can't manage to get you a close look at those heads ,

redear

redman, thanks for sharing all that stuff. I have a keen interest in hand making single pour molds for my own use, and this gives me hope that maybe I can do it.

BucktailJiger

redman said:
Here is one that is ready to hunt. It is called Gay Gordon. Was name by Dr. Phillip Pugh for the Scottish Clan that he was from. Was a killer on the yellow perch in the Northwest Iowa Lakes. Down in our southern lakes it is a Crappie Killer for sure. All the hair on this jig is Badger.

100_2145.jpg

It is the only picture I have but will take some more to let you see how they look.

Ledhed I was taught to make molds by Jim Stone. He was one of the first men in the mid-west to start making molds. From what I can find out and from oral history Jim was the grandfather of all of the mold makers. He build for the Shannon company and also for Lacey Ghee who started Wapsi Fly. He was a inventor and innovator of many items that are in use today. I will post a picture soon of one of his open wire bobbins that he made for Lacey Ghee. It was given to me by Jim Himself. What a honor to have a teacher like that.

Redman
I do like the looks of that one as well . May I ?

ScottV

That is just too cool Redman. I just got my first two molds via UPS today and just waiting on hooks to start my pouring hobby. Thanks for sharing.

Back