Three custom molds and heads

redman

For you enjoyment here are three molds and the heads that come out of them.

This first picture is of a 1/24 oz. mold in both a #10 and a #8 sickle. This mold is about 30 years old and I have poured Thousands upon Thousands of jigs with it.

100_2202.jpg

The next on is.

100_2204.jpg

This next mold is a 1/10 oz. head with a #8, #6, and #4 sickle hook. I made this one about the same time and again have poured Thousands of heads. This one is my all time favorite. It's my Ace in the Hole.

100_2205.jpg

100_2207.jpg

This is a mold that I have to rework. It pours a good head but the hinges are loose and needs refacing and repress badly. This is what happens when you abuse a mold. use this one very seldom any more. I like the head in the dead of winter when the crappies are hitting the bigger baitfish. Head showen are 1/9 oz. in a #6 and #4 sickles. Will admit that a Aberdeen will work better in these molds but dang I sure like the sickles and have more confidence in them.

Enjoy

Redman

redman

Here is one that is ready to hunt. It is called Gay Gordon. Was name by Dr. Phillip Pugh for the Scottish Clan that he was from. Was a killer on the yellow perch in the Northwest Iowa Lakes. Down in our southern lakes it is a Crappie Killer for sure. All the hair on this jig is Badger.

100_2145.jpg

It is the only picture I have but will take some more to let you see how they look.

Ledhed I was taught to make molds by Jim Stone. He was one of the first men in the mid-west to start making molds. From what I can find out and from oral history Jim was the grandfather of all of the mold makers. He build for the Shannon company and also for Lacey Ghee who started Wapsi Fly. He was a inventor and innovator of many items that are in use today. I will post a picture soon of one of his open wire bobbins that he made for Lacey Ghee. It was given to me by Jim Himself. What a honor to have a teacher like that.

Redman

Jig Man

WOW, what history and a great assortment of molds. Thank you for sharing redman...Are jigs made from badger hair as tough as a badger is to skin???

Lost Pole

There goes that Badger again! Great looking jig, bro. Dunno nada about molds or making them but it's on the list. One day. Thx fir sharing, Red.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Old school but nice clean pours. Do you fish unpainted a lot?

My fave 1/4 oz. salt water head is single cavity pliers handle from High Tech Molds.

JSC

"Jim Stone"
Got any more history on this ? What years & etc.
Curious.

Like those molds and what they turn out.

redman

Hawn here is picture of the 1/4 oz. mold and head that it pours with a jig that I use to fish walleyes with. When I fished walleye I never used a painted head. For some reason yet to be explaned I fish for crappie with a painted head 90% of the time. The hook for this mold is hand bent from a Mustad 9674 4x long and flat fordged size #2. No longer made. Have 500 left after that no more. So here is the picture.

100_2208.jpg

Some one ask to see what they looked like tied up and ready to hunt. Take a look and see what you think.

100_2209.jpg

Enjoy

Redman

toadfrog

View attachment 7They will do the job I bet . I have gently carefully refaced some and can get a decent head now .

Attachments

• Old MOLD NEW JIG LIFE 001.jpg
    Old MOLD NEW JIG LIFE 001.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 103

CrappieHappy

I like those jigheads.... Anybody know of someone making custom molds now. I know Robert (CAT) is not because of the demand for Slab bandits currently.....

redman

Dang TF Sure do like that head. That is a winner for sure. Even would be willing to barrow the pattern as it looks like a walleye getter to me.

CH I know of no one if Robert isn't doing them. I am to old and don't want to be tied down to any thing any more. I have to take care of my wife who is almost blind and profoundly hard of hearing and has health issues. Three dogs Two cat and the house. Just too darn business to do it. Sorry.

Redman

CrappieHappy

Redman, no apologies needed Sir... I was just curious if any others besides Robert.. I will check with Barlows, and see if they know anyone locally.

Thanks
Heath

Hawnjigs

KISS
Redman, #2 hook seems smaller than mainstream for a 1/4 oz. walleye jig. What advantages does the narrower bite hook have for you?

Do you heat the hooks to bend them?

redman

Hawn remember these molds were made in the early 1980's these hooks were state of the art. 4x long and forged flat. It was the best hook and strongest that Mustad had to offer at the time. There were two ways to bend them one was to heat them the safest and cold bend them which you would break 6 to 10 per 100. Both worked I like the hot process better. The lead would cover the weak part of the hook. The big problem was if you would throw it up against a cement wall or piling. The eyes some times would snap off if the hit the wall just right. That was a Dang nabbit moment and since I fished mostly at night I would have to hide behind a tree to retie the new jig to the line. I got good at tying knots in complete darkness. One trick that I would try is to fish just beyond a street or yard light it made it better to tie on a jig with just a small amount of light. Walleyes are bad about staying away from bright light. They will hug just on the very edge of the darkness. Hoping to take a bait fish that will pass that way. I always had my best luck fishing for them in the dark of the moon right before a cold front would move thur. These time we would slay the big walleyes as we would say every pop was a pigeon They were laying there like cord wood ready to feed before the cold front. Was nothing to take 6 fish over 6 lbs. any thing at that weight was a trophy.They would not fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

Redman

Redman

Fatman

I don't know how good these guys are or how long the molds last but you can all check them out

Ace Hand Molds http://www.smacktackle.com/acehandmolds.html

Redman I understand your bending the hooks but would a regular jig hook work if someone managed to get it??? I looked at some hook conversion charts http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...IQFjAF&usg=AFQjCNFdU7yNdjpJx_CmNUTnYPHnTJE43A

This place has alot of Mustads new and old - I didn't see them in the inventory listing but he's behind sometimes, you could always check. http://www.kenhook.se/

http://www.j-maclures.com/streamerhook4xl50pkmustad9674.aspx no size 2's though

Back