Thomas Vise III

Fatman

Led a definate Thomas but I've never seen one like that!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to post the links for these 3 threads on one of my boards for a guy that has some Thomas vises - No one has ever posted one that has a head piece that looks like yours. Hold tight to that thread holder - that piece is what everyone is always looking for.

Fatman

Well Led - the 2 guys who know the most about them are fairly certain that someone cut back on the top of it and put a different assembly in it's place - and they think it's pretty cool!!!! The one guy is really wanting that thread holder piece and I told him I was only looking for info and the owner wasn't selling.

For Alot of fly tying history and info - here's the thread from my fly board on Thomas vises
http://www.sparsegreymatter.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1013

LedHed

Sponsor
Fm - I am disagreeing with both those guys in regards to the Thomas being modified. The head is removable, very tight tolerance, and can be used as a hand vise. The vise is tightened or loosened by rotating the small lever attached at the back of the vise. Again it open and closes with very tight tolerances. The vise has 4 small cups that align with a guide pin on the stem. You can place the vise, on the stem, in four positions (0°, 90°, 180°, and 270°). The guide pin is not completely round and is made to fit the cups. The end of the stem does not show cut or grind marks.

I know Thomas made and sold vises in the 30s but can’t find any catalogs or reference materials.

Fatman

I'll keep looking around on this - Flat out I don't know but it's fun finding out!!!!!!! Don't know how but I'm gonna find out about this!! More to come I hope!!!

LedHed

Sponsor
Tough one for sure. From what I understand the vise was mail order. You only hear about the Xuron predecessor but I have three vises marked Thomas that are all different. When you compare bases with the one in the other post you see a difference also. The other vise appears to be older and the clamp has the black patena. I also have two more vise heads.

Fatman

Okay Led - finally got an answer back from Larry Kennedy of Xuron Vise (basically the new version of the Thomas vise) and I sent him a copy of the picture and they went through everything they had, and here's the answer.

Doug it looks like it was modified, probably by the owner. A lot of
them were. By the looks of it they did a good job. The very best,
larry

So you got something that no one else has!!!! Hold on to all of them - they'll probably just go up in value. Especially hang on to that thread holder!!!!! Every body who has the Thomas with the premade hole is looking for them!!!!

Gotta admit it was alot of fun finding out about this!!!!!!

LedHed

Sponsor
Great follow up & info Fm. Do you know if Larry had any other info on the other style vises? Would be great to find a catalog or some type of literature related to Thomas vises.

Fatman

Led I'll see what I can find out from Larry - They obtained some stuff when they purchased the rights to it but alot of stuff was lost from the folks who had the rights to it before so it's a real loss to everyone!!!

I'll post again when I find out anything.

LedHed

Sponsor
Thnx Fm - It is a shame to lose the history of vintage fly tying equipment. Thomas made some cool vises. I would like to know what else they were doing...

Do you know if Larry saw the threaded thread holder on Thomas Vise I?

Fatman

Well wish the results of the last request for old pictures or catalouge pics came up empty!!! They don't have any and are looking for stuff also. For anyone who has a Herter's catalouge could you check and see if the Thomas vise's are listed in there. I'll keep looking!!!!!!!!

LedHed

Sponsor
Recently came across a listing for this vise in an auction;

Description
Thomas, No. 1, Adjustable Ball Socket, Abercrombie & Fitch, c.1949 Illustrated

View attachment 9

Unfortunately I don't know what it was sold for. Wondering how rare this particular model is.....

Attachments

• thomas vise auction pic.jpg
    thomas vise auction pic.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 21
Back