Thicker body better in cloudy water?

SPOONMINNOW

The waters in my area always have that cloudy green-algae suspension which is worse after rain runoff from inflows. You might think fish with smaller mouths would stay clear of thicker body soft plastics, but fact is, they have no problem attacking them.
I dipped the body of this 2.5" grub in hot plastic to make it thicker. The tail shape and action are great for moving water on a horizontal or vertical presentation.
View attachment 22761 View attachment 22767

View attachment 22762 View attachment 22763 View attachment 22768 View attachment 22769

Of course bass couldn't ignore the lure casually flapping its wide tail close to its head:
View attachment 22765

Even clear thicker body plastic grubs did very well such as this one in the same shape and size:
View attachment 22766 View attachment 22770 View attachment 22771

Good thing fish don't have a clue what they bite and after a week or so can be caught on the same lures.

jiggerjohn

Fat is where it's at! I'm experiencing lots more fish FEELING THE VIBRATIONS from chunkier bodies on my jigs, especially during the free-fall dropping motions when increased water pressure is literally shoved down at sensitive predators ! In my area we've had way too much muddy water, but Spoonminnow's squatty bodied plastics have compensated, by FEEL, for what fish can't see !

SPOONMINNOW

John, I have yet to use a Beetle Spin attached to any lure. Talk about maximum vibration and flash! But I have a feeling it wouldn't work being that as of now the lures I'm casting must drop slowly and be worked slowly either under overhangs or into weed pockets and channels. The Beetle Spin is more or less a steady retrieve lure that must be moved too fast.

Back