The River is my Pew ....

hookup

Hit the river for an 8 hour float this Sunday - beautiful day to be on the river.

Osprey, bald eagles, heron, deer, mink - everyone was out.

Including the small mouth bass ...

IMGP0853_zps2a7ccb3a.jpg

River was up & pushy, got about 30 smallies, 2 over 20", a 15, 16, 17, & 17.5" and a bunch of dinner plate sized red brested panfish

Got the smallies all on stixbaits, flukes, and paddle tail grubs on a jig I pour ...

IMGP0570.jpg

toadfrog

Lucky man not an awful lot of small mouth close to me . I need all the perch fishermen on this site to move here for the summer . Help diminish some of these ding dang perch .

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
That is a beauty of a smallie and beauty of a river behind you as well. Could get lost there for hours on end. :)

hookup

Could get lost there for hours on end

I do

Typically I float all day and try to choose the flow for big smallies & minimal boat traffic. This one has a couple class I's that if you're not familiar with your motor boat, will open it up like a can opener.

We started the float at 6:30 and finished at 17:00 -- long day on the river, but well worth it.

Hawnjigs

KISS
That is a long day! Sounds like some of the best fishing & looks like best scenery anywhere in the US. Do you mostly land the boat and fish from shore?

Is the EWG hook design superior to standard round bend for this style of rigging? Is that the best type of coil keeper and where do you get yours?

JUNGLEJIM1

Great way to spend a day, beautiful smallies. I'd like to see what the red breast looks like there. Any pictures of those? Smallies are way up on my list as well.

hookup

Hawnjigs said:
Do you mostly land the boat and fish from shore?

Both. I use the kayak as a taxi & pick fishy looking area's apart. The fish looking area's change based on the time of year (well, since smallies don't read a calander, change based on water temp & photoperiod & flow of water).

Is the EWG hook design superior to standard round bend for this style of rigging?

The EWG works when using soft plastics because of the thickness of the plastic. Allows the hook to have some 'space' to penetrate the jaw along with the space taken up by the soft plastic.

You can rig this style jig with any soft plastic - I like if for swim baits, but since a swim bait's nothing but a paddle tail grub, you can rig regular grubs, tubes, stixbaits (like senkos), and creature baits.

Is that the best type of coil keeper and where do you get yours?

I get them usually from Barlows. There's a couple types out there, I like the stainless steel ones, but they all work well. I do not like the ones that Mr Twister uses since it's just a sharp pin that penetrates the head of the soft plastic. This one screws into the head and holds nicely. When using with tubes, I usually stick a small piece of a stix bait up the butt of the tube to get more purchase.

I'd like to see what the red breast looks like there. Any pictures of those?

Didn't take any pix of them, but they look like a blue gill with a red brest & a golden/yellow body. Scrappy fish especially in a good current.

LedHed said:
Awesome - I understand, now, the Smallmouth

Ever since I moved east from SoCA, I've been hooked on them.

Back