The Pup Special

smalljaw

These are a couple of craft fur jigs tied in tribute to Pup, I really liked the look of the craft fur jig but more importantly the fish like it a lot also. Both of these are tied on 1/8oz weedless ball head jigs with Danville Flymaster 210 denier flat waxed nylon thread and use size #1 sickle hooks. The top jig is white with white extra select craft fur and a little chartreuse extra select craft fur on the sides finished off with ghost pearl Krystal flash. The bottom jig is a custom blend consisting of blaze orange and brown, I call it "crawrange", I know it is a little corny but it fits on the jar lid so I went with it. Anyway, I have brown with black tip Michaels craft fur tied around the jig as a bottom layer and straight brown Michaels craft fur tied over top and then finished off with copper Krystal flash.

DSCN03752_zps34014d4b.jpg

Pop

Really nice jigs. I love the colors. Need to learn more about craft fur. I have a lot of craft fur, none of which I have worked with very much. My craft fur does not look anywhere as good as yours. Can you tell me where to purchase the extra select? One other question, what kind of fish are you catching with these jigs? Thanks for your help. Pop

Pop

Should have read the rest of your post. I assume you get all your craft fur at Michaels. If I am wrong, please correct me. Thanks again, Pop

smalljaw

Thanks guys, Pop, I only get black, white, brown and the brown with black from Michaels and it was only recently they added those colors as it used to be only black and white but the quality is pretty good. The extra Select craft fur is great stuff but a little more expensive, you can get it at Cabelas, Hareline Dubbin Company makes or distributes it and you can see it on there website but I'm not sure if they sell direct. The Extra Select is $2.78 for a 5"X5" patch and it is a decent amount but the stuff from Michaels is $1.99 for a 9"X12" patch. There is a place online where you can get Darice craft fur for $1.77 for a 9"X12" patch but the shipping is expensive so it would be best to get it from there if you are going to get 10 or more patches of it. The jigs in the picture are going to be used for smallmouth bass but I have made smaller ones with craft fur for crappie and I tied some on a 1/48oz minnow head for a friend who uses it to catch trout and by looking at the fillets in my freezer I would say he is successful, but if you use the right size jig you can tie craft fur for any species and the thing with it is the movement, very good for cold water because the jig can be left in 1 spot and just the natural movement of the water is enough to bring the material to life, good stuff for sure.

Pop

Thanks Smalljaw. I have been tying some jigs that are roughly the same size as the jigs you are showing. However the intention when starting to tying them was for crappie, but; they keep winding up larger than intended. I'll just put them in my smallmouth/walleye box. I have successfully tied some smaller for crappie but not on a consistant basis. Thanks for the craft fur info, much appreciated. Pop

Back