The Crappie Are Spawning In Dixie

ScottV

A buddy and I tried to fight the wind today and spider rig jigs. We were at Okatibbee Reservoir in east central MS. We were fishing 10 to 12 fow hitting stumps and brush tops on the lip of a creek channel. The males are turning black now and some boats were catching crappie in 2 fow. We fished for two hours and had 12 keepers but the wind just got too tough. Chartreuse was the hot color.
Here's one of the males.
62ef191b-d3df-9f56.jpg

62ef191b-d3eb-1142.jpg

JUNGLEJIM1

We still have about six weeks or so,but that could change with our mild winter. Sure looks like they're getting ready there. Fish tacos sound great and taste the same.

Shoemoo

Looks like fish sandwiches on the menu. Nice spawning colors on the male. Almost looks like a black crappie.

I'm jealous, because the spawn here is still at least two months away. We have some relatively warm days in the forecast, though. Supposed to have a 5 or 6 day stretch of high 50s, low 60s later this week. Maybe I'll go out near the end of the stretch and see if they've started to make feeding excursions into shallow water.

ScottV

The spawn is coming about two weeks earlier this year than it did last year. Our water temp is around 60 deg now which brought it on, I think. I caught 23 on Monday of last week in the same area. I had several males but none had their dark colors then.

Fatman

Great bunch of fish Scott!!!!!

We had 49 degrees here today and by tommorrow afternoon a cold front is going to kick through and cold and rain and snow again!!! Stinking weather - my twitchin itch is just waiting to go fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!! The reels all got pulled out and fresh grease and oil, fresh line and the poles came out of their tubes and got all wiped down checked eyelets and everything is just WAITIN TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScottV

We are supposed to be in the mid 70s tomorrow. The only problem is the wind. I'm going in the morning regardless. Maybe I can find a spot out of the wind.

Squeakyboatcaptain

That's one thing I like about my job.... When I get home... I don't have to fish on the weekends, and fight the crowds. Can fish at my own pace, usually exactly where I want to! I caught a few in 3' of water before I left... Hopefully they will be in full swing of it in 4 weeks..

StumpHunter

Those are looking good Scott. Nice catch and great pics. ;)
I fished yesterday and the wind was bad!! Trash all over the lake from the weekends rain and couldn't keep the jigs clean. Did manage to catch a few and used some crappie nibbets, LOL went ahead and got 4 jars while I was at Academy, thanks for the heads up. The black crappie are moving to the banks here and are putting on their colors. Going to just keep getting better...

Attachments

• Lake Russell 3-8-12 009.jpg
    Lake Russell 3-8-12 009.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 23

StumpHunter

ScottV said:
That's a beautiful fish Ronnie. Those Crappie Nibbles work, don't they?

Yes they do. I'm going to try rubbing them into the chenille for longlining jigs as the Nibbles don't last long if you are pulling jigs.

JUNGLEJIM1

I'm a fan of the nibbles as well. Nibbles right out of the jar are soft. I like to let some sit out in the open air to firm up a little and it seems like they stay on the hook better.

Back