Tail Spins

JUNGLEJIM1

I fished the Tailgunners or tail spins two days on two different lakes. They worked great!! Between last night and this morning I made enough to fill up a box. Here are some finished ones. Candy Bait, the dart and whiptail blade combo looks interesting. I'm wondering what kind of action it would have with that blade. I have some of those blades around here somewhere. There are a lot more possibilities with these tailspins we need to look at.

Attachments

• IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 79

JUNGLEJIM1

Update on the ATTICA inspired tailspins or tailgunners as I call them now.Thursday morning I got out and headed to one of my favorite big crappie holes.River was falling finally and the lake next to it was dropping and emptying back into the river through a couple of large drainage tubes. The fish wouldn't touch a regular jig so I tied on a tailspin and fish jumped all over it. I caught mostly crappie but caught bass,white bass,bluegill,drum and even a buffalo. The crappie were in the 9-12 inch range mostly,still full of eggs. When the action slowed with the tailspin I switched to a pillhead spinner and started catching them again. I caught so many I actually lost count,of course that usually happens past 10. Here are a couple pictures of what I was using. The only thing wrong with these baits are that almost half the crappie were swallowing the tailspins and I didn't have any hemostats with me. I ended up finding a small stick several inches long that did the trick and I was able to unhook them using that. Cold front moved in that night and I went back Friday after the front but didn't catch 1/4 as many as the day before. 30 degree drop made a huge difference.

Attachments

• IMG_3696.JPG
    IMG_3696.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3694.JPG
    IMG_3694.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 55

oldfox

Haven't tried any tail spinners yet, but looks like I need to put them on my to do list. Nice looking work Jim...

JUNGLEJIM1

I've been using #12 crane swivels with #0 Indianas or #1 willows. I like tails on mine but I've been tying them short,otherwise the longer tails keep the blades from spinning properly.

Len

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
I've been using #12 crane swivels with #0 Indianas or #1 willows. I like tails on mine but I've been tying them short,otherwise the longer tails keep the blades from spinning properly.

Thanks JJ and those look teriffic!!!

Back