Tail length on crappie jigs

Muskygary

I like to keep my tails short. About 1/2 inch past the hook bend. I feel I get less "short" hits that way. I noticed most guys use longer tails. (Some up to 2-2 1/2 inches pass the hook bend) Just wondering what you guys think about this subject? Longer tails; more short hits? Or does it depend on the part of country you fish?

Jig Man

I think it depends on the bit. my tail is usually 1.5 the length of the shank. If I miss several thumps I'll down size the bait..

Kdog

Gary, IMO you are opening a real big can of worms here. Kinda like Bobby "Waterboy" Beauche saying "but Mamma Said".

I usually tie 1X the length of the shank but will tie some 2x the length. Also, sometimes with a really sparse tail. I will go even shorter. I have a box of early season jigs that have less than 10 barbules that barely go past the bend of the hook, either a thread collar or a double width (2 wraps) of size 0 chenille.

Short Strikes IMO are a size or presentation problem usually working the jig too fast or using too large of a jig.

Kdog

Muskygary said:
Are there times when you feel the longer tail gets you more strikes?

There times when longer tail seems to help, but that is when fish are aggressively feeding, but,,, they are slamming the jigs and short strikes are rare

luremaker

Also depends of the size of the minnows at the time. If they are hitting bigger minnows you want a bigger bait. But, even that ain't guaranteed. :)

Back