Super Do look-alike

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Stump Hunter's recent post about trying to mimic his favorite plastic bait got me back on this. The black red glitter Venom Super Do is hands down my favorite plastic bait for river bass. The biggest problem is how soft they are, they rip easy! I keep chopping them down and reusing them as long as i can but some do fall apart BEFORE I LOOSE THEM TO THE ROCKS.... and that is saying something! :blush: I do think i nailed it this time though.

Here's my tie:
101_1263_e.jpg

-1/16 head (given to me in a swap, from RadTex maybe)
-2 strips of black zonker, with 1" of the ends cut in half to make 4 actual thin strips
-Black ultra chenille... I twisted it together with 2 pieces of red flashabou and man does it look sweet. :cool:
-Red flashabou in the tail
-Overall length is around 3" (the actual Super Do runs 4")

Here is what i was shooting for:
1500.jpg

ScottV

You can just throw the plastic one away now. You nailed it! I love the body, the way you twisted the flash-a-bou in there.
Scott

Pup

Now, that's a black neon color pattern. :cool: Great job AF. You did clever work with the flash and chenille. :)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the comments. :) I am out of the plastics now and don't see me ordering new ones anytime soon. :cool:

Hawnjigs - Not sure why this color is so hot in my river but the over all style of the plastic bait actually works double duty... i used to use it with a 1/16 tube style head threaded onto the body so no lead was showing and would either hop it slow along bottom for a craw imitation or rip it fast to look like a minnow. The smallies love it... now it just needs to stop raining and my river clear up. :-/

Hawnjigs

KISS
If predators react well to dark colors can't get darker than black.

Your 1/16 tube head success answers my question about smaller perhaps than usual #4 Sickle in your smallie jig. Heck, JJ2 is getting 20+ lb. carp on #8s.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Black/red has always been a hands down fall back color for a tough day on the river. Always keep a few in my box that look VERY similar to this - if anything changes it is what black tail material i have the most of at the time. Prefered in this order: Rabbit Zonks, Craft Fur, Bucktail. All but given up on marabou and hackle, tails rip up too easy.

Back