Successful trip

ragged edge

Over the weekend the two nephews and I went to Quemado Lake in the Gila wilderness. We took the tin boat and trolling motor as outboards are not permitted. Caught 12 rainbows and one tiger muskie. The tiger was to small to keep and the largest rainbows were 21 and 22". The remainder of fish were between 15 and 18". All caught on a gold 1/16 ball head, crawdad chenille and yellow/brown hackle. I have photos of the large ones but forgot how to post pictures.

Enjoyed the trip as the nephews cooked the catch......I drank beer and cheered them on........lol

Jig Man

September is a good time to be in the Gila. If I'm around when things go south, that would be a good place to start looking for me.

ragged edge

CH, the nephews enjoyed the trip as well. Taught the nephews the art of jig fishing last year and now they got the hang of it. So funny, we are jig fishing, catching fish, and out fishing the bank fishermen and fly fishermen........lol The game warden wanted to know what we were catching the fish with. Told him dupont lures. For some reason he did not like my answer........sigh

Hawnjigs

KISS
Your catch might be atypical considering this NM Wildlife "Catch of the Week" report?

"Quemado Lake: July 26, Lacy Ferguson, age 13, of Elida, caught an 18-inch rainbow trout. She was using a Panther Martin. The same day, her brother, Radlee Ferguson, age 5, caught a 13.5-inch rainbow trout. He was using Power Bait."

Except for the San Juan tailwater, NM doesn't buzz much as a trophy trout destination?

ragged edge

Hawn, I read last weeks report and todays report. Basicaly the same. I have to agree with ya. Remember I was jig fishing! It seems I catch bigger fish jigging. The game warden said they were bigger fish than what he had checked lately. Going back this weekend and see what happens.

I believe the state record for rainbow is 31lb.

Jig Man

Hey RE,
to post a picher, put it in your computer then re-size it to around 800. Then at the bottom of your reply screen click the browse button and find the picher on your computer then select it. After that click the add attachment button at the the bottom of the reply screen. Then wait for it to load. When it loads there will be a new button to insert it. Put the courser where you want it then click the insert button.... And there ya go. Oh yea, then click post reply..... :icon14:

Would like to see them!

ragged edge

Bucko, I think the state record is around 55" and the minimum length is 40" for sure. This tiger fishing is all new to me. Any help is appreciated. The one thing that I have learned is they do not have a problem taking a jig.The trout we cleaned looked like they had a solid 1 1/2" meat on each shoulder. I am referring to the two big ones..........

JUNGLEJIM1

Very nice bows,once they get that size they fight well and if your lucky you get a few jumps out of them. They taste pretty good if you smoke them on the grill. Is that a new style of raingear?? Gold and Nickle plated heads are deadly on trout, I wish I had taken some on the trip last week but I wanted to try different stuff. It could have made a big difference in the catch rate.

ragged edge

Hawn,....Yea, they are! Thought I had a tiger when I caught mine. Took about 10 minutes to get him in. I only use 4lb line and chased him around the lake with the trolling motor to keep tension off the line. Never jumped once nor the nephew's.

Back