Stumphunter...or anyone else that pours

hunter7711

I was thinkin about a pic I think you posted. It shows your mold with each hole and a little piece of lead sticking out each one. I don't know about you but I HATE picking out 8 different pours each time. What I do is pour the first hole just like you did. I pour the second and tilt the mold down a little and overpour the hole and let the extra conect with the first hole. I repeat this for the other 6 holes. What I end up with is 8 jigs attached to one piece of lead. All 8 come out of the mold as a stick. I flop it in a steel tray and go to the next pour. When I'm done pouring I have all these sticks with 8 jigs on them. I then take a pair of needlenose and grab in the middle and break off each jig. I never cut my jigs off. This save a lot of movement. Plus Arthur is bad in my hands, and this make it alot easier to have a comfortable pour.

toadfrog

I do that on the molds I can . Some are tricky . You get a lot of miss fires like that .

LedHed

Sponsor
I can do it for some molds but some molds don't like it - gets your molds hotter faster. It sure does make it easy when you do your jig clean up.

Fatman

The only pain that happens when you do that is if you miss and get lead down in the hinge. Then you have to pick it out before even attemting to open your mold.

I always trim sprues off when I put fresh lead in the pot - can trim alot while it heats up. I might do 4 each like that but usually not all 8 or whatever depending how many cavities are in a mold. That's just me.

Back